Posts Tagged businessweek
Would you rather allow individuals to invest up to $1,000 in a startup or have the government give the startup your tax dollars?
accredited investors, businessweek, cleantech, defense authorization act, ee times, energy program, government grants, national defense authorization act, sec regulations, small business innovation research, sophisticated investors, startups, vc firms, venture capital
The Newsletter SignupThe e-mail newsletter signup is temporarily disabled. If you're interested, please e-mail me directly.
- Schools Require Parent Participation November 22, 2014Charter schools are legal in California. The state education code as well as voter-passed propositions, have consistently shown broad public support for them. There are rules about the types and amounts of support a local school district must give each charter. Instead of fighting charter schools, perhaps folks should consider the model advanced by San […]TonyLima
- Maryland Taxes Rain November 22, 2014But consider the meta-implications. Taxing an activity usually reduces the equilibrium quantity. In this case, rain is being taxed. Will Maryland begin to experience droughts? We shall see. But remember -- you read it here first.TonyLima
- Monopoly Pricing in a Government Agency November 18, 2014I've been looking into detailed election results, specifically our local school district. There are 31 precincts. To save some time I thought I'd get the GIS maps. Imagine my surprise when I found out they would cost $86 per precinct! I wondered if this came close to the monopoly profit-maximizing price. Have I found monopoly […]TonyLima
- Exchange Rate Risk Part 999 November 16, 2014Assuming the current exchange rate remains the same, she will never pay off this mortgage. Her payment in Swiss francs is less than the monthly interest. Therefore, she is experiencing negative amortization in forints.TonyLima
- Schools Require Parent Participation November 22, 2014
- Point-by-Point Refutation of Obama Speech http://t.co/NaaN5WQfFs, 3 hours ago
- RT @CaWineFan: Pinotfest 2014 Two to Watch http://t.co/OELhCIy6TJ #pinotfest, 3 hours ago
- Seattle mayor pardons tofurkey. http://t.co/EmRhx0lvJ6, 5 hours ago
- Better Citizens Take Care of Their Families | RedState https://t.co/jn20KmO8Je, 7 hours ago
- White House Petition: Refund the fees to legal immigrants who have applied over the past six years http://t.co/3RpUkWYZ9N… @WhiteHouse, 9 hours ago
- congressional budget office u s department of education accredited universities pell grants debt contract huelskamp promissory notes debt payments loan default federal student aid san jose mercury news Joe Weisenthal Wesienthal economic recovery kafka the trial roger kimball council for higher education accreditation zoning district takings clause legal obligations state and local governments capitol hill treasury secretary jack lew synagogue public health risk greek environment wood burning stoves demand curves seasonality jobless claims unemployment benefit government revenue debt clock bls data blumer entrails seasonal patterns seasonal factors credit card payment dollar coin sparkling wines world trade organization world trade organization wto champagne region of france intellectual property issues sparkling wine korbel multilateral agreement geographical indications temporary tax change permanent income model george santayana president lyndon johnson Carney tax surcharge war on poverty economic history lyndon johnson war in vietnam intellectual property rights flipping lazy media media scum republicans Jake Tapper national debt ceiling debt limit simple accounting u s mint house of representatives christie education bureaucracy educrat instruction math instruction peter king house speaker harry reid barack obama wood fires heating oil minority youth trinity university youth unemployment national bureau of economic research jobless rate black teens titan international amiens france miami university david neumark david macpherson truck rental governor perry california businesses minimum wage increases formal sector william wascher income distribution survey article supply shock french workers epic patient information arra ups and fedex us postal service shakedown partners in crime prescription drugs legacy systems health care industry tire manufacturer maurice taylor french industry french government goodyear allscripts electronic medical records cerner corp governor brown governor rick perry paper checks social security checks Keystone XL first class postage cme data futures options treasury security treasury futures keystone environmentalists tax incentive incentives economic crisis demand curve economic database sovereign nation canadian tar sands widget security prices options trading rmbs justice department lawsuit financial institutions reform recovery and enforcement act subprime mortgage cdos texas governor rick perry government credit downgrade freedom of speech math education seventh grade mark of shame treasuries tyler durden criminal prosecution o brien state board of education arne duncan justice system supply and demand milk prices California budget waste of tax dollars CSUEB Romney Morishita council of economic advisers moon is a harsh mistress Commoner Freidman Marie Myung-Ok Lee obesity mental health treatment substance abuse treatment rehabilitation activities family assistance rehabilitation programs Social Security fail training education needy families economist milton friedman barry commoner history of the european union european monetary union european economic union european economic community common market margin of error gdp growth statistical fluke nobel peace prize nobel prize committee tanstaafl robert heinlein campbell mcconnell energy crises oil markets excel workbook employment statistics oil energy education job search PRWORA Mountain Lion Airplay streaming video Charles Jones home theater system internet movie database tweets polling firms imdb Robert Hall rule of law social infrastructure factor productivity robert solow paul romer technological growth economic growth max weber denison twitter health insurance premiums media innumeracy polling errorNBC price increases media goofs mainstream media idiots TANF welfare welfare work excise tax marginal costs van de water marginal cost curve center on budget and policy priorities pet scanners ct scanners mri machines supply curve health expenditures bond girl harrisburg pennsylvania career success consumers commerce department consumer confidence consumer price index nutrition assistance supplemental nutrition assistance program department of agriculture supplemental nutrition bp gas prices gasoline market Dennis Van Roekel pbs retail gasoline price of gasoline fixed cost consumer search british petroleum chairman arthur levitt arthur levitt fiscal policy analysis Dr. Goose limerick light trucks john carney cnbc futures traders agricultural bill mayans tax cuts house republican caucus securities and exchange aol national defense authorization market futures plan b sequestration snap program teachers union newshour democratic politicians voucher programs tenure decisions unholy trinity reading comprehension democratic agenda csu system bad teachers math capabilities california faculty association value of education foundations of economic analysis incinerator finding apartments rent control polls landslide san francisco teacher credentialing union dues domestic transactions ecological economics university of vermont egregious error punctuation jeffrey brown national education association pbs news hour eric zencey political economist brooke gladstone central limit theorem university california meta analysis political polling public radio international response rate random sample justice department ira flatow looktothestars celebrity lunch suppression second amendment charity buzz housing bubble Freddy Mac Fannie Mae Mel Watt first amendment third-party payments puerto rico debt Detroit Harrisburg illegal immigration self-deportation FDIC government waste stupid policy Ackman archaic regulations price discrimination demand elasticity first quarter beef price export Burkhauser Neumark poverty investment backward looking slow growth negative interest rate 2014:1 Medicaid MediCal forward looking shock estimates San Bernardino Stockton Bloomberg View Bloomberg Sperling Sebelius Bitcoin price control surplus shortage price rationing bad research war on drugs Orwell health care Zanny Minton Beddoes newspeak stock split ivory Tim Cook stock buyback excess supply excess demand food prices best of the web Taranto commodity prices custody account municipal bankruptcy Crimea Russia tax refund TurboTax underground economy black market Venezuela New York Times stupid Staples Intuit online order system Ricoh Sabia Lundstrom cults productivity wage marginal revenue product Douthat Mulligan Yellen euro breakup innovation Yankees baseball suicide luxury tax yacht tax post hoc dmv Jeter auto computer hidden tax Fed information elasticity Lerner Index market power Maryland rain tax parent participation McArdle satire monopoly monopoly pricing operation choke point hospitality incentive choke point bank regulation Hungary foreign exchange banking snack tax corporate income tax subprime auto loans subprime Ferguson affordable car act car loans advance estimate historical data BEA Benko Volcker NIPA Atlantic earned income tax credit value added Davidow Krugman subject matter knowledge Google second estimate third estimate spelling is hard Valparaiso environment Hawaii native Hawaiian AmeriCorps politics Hawaiian independence zero emissions hybrid population density Gaza annual revision journalists data SF Muni San Francisco Muni Texas The Economist full time pboc lender of last resort liquidity crisis reinhardt bank of china crunch carbon tax david kestenbaum henry jacoby bond market federal debt incomes embarrassment gura employment data cps rogoff 30 year treasuries u s treasury bonds john reilly george akerlof detroit michigan presidential campaign cbs news college enrollment professional sports facilities dennis coates andrew zimbalist robert whaples jim messina chapter 9 bankruptcy moral hazard adverse selection asymmetric information victorville daily press lisa benson political cartoons part time job full time work forum program kai ryssdal dow jones excel plugin public colleges eric felten stork club supply side economics baby boom bureau of internal revenue american council on education universities in california flu vaccine andrew wakefield vaccines and autism science friday low information voter colleges and universities in california california state legislature introductory college courses roof gardens birth rate onerous requirement public higher education baccalaureate degree virtual laboratory tuition bill david blanchflower university education university buildings higher education system Cyprus cyprus banks taxes cabaret tax russian mafia deposit balances russians suckers haircut red wings humphreys michael reich evsey domar affordable care act mandates economics research magical thinking american association of retired persons federal government program capitalist system single point executive branch global competition dissaving rent john crudele new york post economic data falsification survey work aarp Association of Mature American Citizens mistake health insurers single payer BPPE Dev Bootcamp Bishay Shereef Bishay regulation health insurance companies private health insurance Denise Cote antitrust AMAC Cote Michael Bromwich health insurance industry bully Bromwich interest capital gains checking account jpmorgan overdrafts checks LASD michelle obama BCS Bullis Charter School overdraft fee bank of america publicly financed stadiums Siegfried Noll intragovernmental holdings selling securities overdraft fees second chance checking accounts reallocation negative externalities economic profits mary jo white plea bargain government bureaucrats money income saving dollar wealth misdemeanor conviction economic activity school cafeteria market imperfection food trucks entrepreneurial opportunity externality bureaucrats economic analysis school lunches endogenous growth theory unemployment benefits smart employees john c dvorak economic woes bad management stimulus scott adams patents inventor technology impacts economic efficiency monopolies inventions copyright law excess reserves term yields equity research apple computer crackdown ipods fbi macintosh computer legitimate research fomc bond yields southeast asian countries susan pulliam insider trading cost of health care administrative services james poterba cambridge massachusetts david romer stanford university business cycles robert j gordon economic fluctuations jeffrey frankel 1 million trusts nber research associate harvard univerity martin feldstein northwestern university joe gagnon expansion bill patient communication systems birthing centers mr bush medical practices free exchange apy federal reserve board institute for international economics bank reserves monetary affairs international finance john maynard keynes shoot from the hip indebtedness debt government national literacy summit government budget deficits visa inc federal reserve bank of chicago u s treasury department treasurydirect gov exxon lucifer trillion budget http://gonzoecon.com/wp-ad federal reserve bank financial literacy mortgage interest rates senator chris dodd performance enhancing drugs new york times columnist chris dodd pundit plurality global credit credit markets medicare reform proposal corwin tea party exxon mobil walmart deregulation Alfred Kahn airlines CAB national public radio Civilian Aeronautics Board China suicide Foxcon suicide where are the jobs tax increases small businesses Foxconn Foxcon grade inflation attendance rates TheTruth Wears Off scientific method federal government spending evil corporations obscene profits optimal currency area wikipedia lubbers class attendance college faculty going to college higher education charities hedge fund subprime market financial models econometric model financial crisis president roosevelt sound economic policy david brooks subprime mortgages census bureau press policy prescriptions domestic spending seasonal variation financial market meltdown economic advisers labor markets government takeover loan applications census workers job creation minneapolis fed student loan program political favoritism iphone four more years mobile version blackberry Android cuba military court bank of india foreign nationals remittances money transfers bernard madoff wall street paypal india money state of the economy banking crisis indian regulators personal payments reserve bank of india stock market losses ancient mayans smith barney 1098 forms Merrill Lynch Roth IRA ksm interest free loan champion martha stewart stewart sentencing five months 100 million fraud gary stern biggest banks government issues credit card balance debt instruments fiscal stimulus stimulus package mr cameron budget surpluses driver error sudden acceleration national highway traffic safety administration toyota vehicle crash data nhtsa david cameron transfer payments limited partnership pension fund managers hedge funds financial institutions financial instruments confidence mandate economic forecasters fiscal policy bernanke government policies wages acceleration problems toyota motor corp market crash durable goods trades limit order wsj djia business inventories private domestic investment monetary instruments ron feldman tbtf economies of scale w wilson employment prospects bls web european competitors european governments international airline unintended consequences subsidies european airlines airbus a380s separations economic events layoffs optimism emirates airlines food and drug administration electronic health records businessweek startups ee times venture capital Jim Yong Kim World Bank energy program sec regulations government grants national defense authorization act accredited investors cleantech vc firms community organizer capital gains tax interest payments charitable contributions local taxes municipal bond interest growth muni mortgage interest tax preferences tax expenditures budget proposal dividend income health care benefits taxing capital small business innovation research defense authorization act eggs david owen hens green cepr durable goods orders bad analysis Boockvar office of the president delinquency rate population estimates employment unemployment AAPL capital goods rear view camera european currencies joe nocera federal prosecutors customer funds customer accounts Galbraith department of transportation mini vans rear view mirror benefit cost ratio benefit cost analysis station wagon TLA FLA martian james henry Martian banks Mars Hacker Draghi offshore bank tax havens banking history mortgage finance mortgage brokers barry bonds math is hard algebra is hard andrew hacker color copier counterfeiters ben franklin counterfeit security features security thread abe lincoln numerical skills brandeis university science math queens college color laser printer discrimination lawsuit mortgage originations Stewart ERM Ponzi calubtun Business Cycles Committee NBER grexit criminal four letter acronym three letter acronym nobel prize in economics nominal interest rates Zuckerberg St. Louis Fed Kathleen Hays medical device makers PET scanner medical device manufacturer bank lending housing crisis CT scanner medical device tax unconventional economic stimulus Anna Schwartz LFPR debt to gdp ratio wtop Costco corporate bond yields quadratic formula u s government bonds regulatory uncertainty Argentina inflationary pressures southern euro northern euro gary shteyngart free trade agreement allan h meltzer euro countries Supersad True Love Story Official inflation rate seasonal holiday chocolate lovers cocoa prices holidays chocolate cocoa chocolate consumption debt crisis labor force participation civilian labor force government jobs unemployed workers new businesses national labor relations board payroll tax reduction brazil government interest parity devaluation brazilian real copom depreciation monetary policy committee professional athletes favorable treatment segraves countrywide financial members of congress taxpayer money debt plan roger vadim CalPERS public employees retirement system california state government ken rogoff unemployment insurance benefits california public employees retirement system hanoi patricia bosworth hurricane irene houghton mifflin barbarella jane fonda optimum currency areas transportation projects middle class taxpayers california state taxes tax simplification alternative minimum tax santa clara valley transportation authority federal government regulation cengage information goods aplia expectation inflation curve apple store information economics principles of economics valley transportation authority bus rapid transit tim geithner san jose executive office of the president euro exchange rate compliance rate santa clara sunnyvale vta bus lanes brt mountain view palo alto nominal yield curve tax preparation disposable income leading indicator new host california gasoline california government stupid green standards statistical tools french champagne deutschemark eurozone countries adjustment mechanism market reforms leading economic indicators EEOC per capita income ethanol technology ethanol production Greece crisis high school diploma real yield curve TIPS biofuel yield curves government mandate Constitution ethanol cellulosic ethanol Mundell new yorker federal government debt u s treasury karl rove default risk graduation rate treasury notes mainstream media wells fargo athenahealth personal income jonathan bush department of justice fedex dean baker discouraged workers ups Euro crisis Dave Barry treasury bills bls employment report IRS debt ceiling fomc meeting mortgage backed securities treasury inflation protected securities inflation protected securities exchange rate risk financial meltdown bad spelling tax returns inflation target olivier blanchard inflation rate international monetary fund bailout citibank Stanford complexity economics U.S. economy 1099 forms Great Recession central banks macroeconomic policy bls gov economy new jobs money supply sophisticated investors government spending unemployment numbers great depression downward revision retail sales collateralized debt obligations economists health care bill financial markets milton friedman Treasury ken gardner canada u s postal service interest rates usps debt obligations congress food stamps national income accounting john boehner stock market Dodd-Frank bonds informal sector Puerto Rico Germany default education los altos California municipal bond city of detroit empirical studies minimum wage hike European Central Bank princeton economist statisticians national debt unemployment optimum currency area fail banking system algebra banks dexit charter schools mf global government eric holder dividends facebook ipo municipal bonds political science ipo population survey free lunch economic principles kqed teachers unions Netflix california state university east bay seasonal adjustment pollster Reed Hastings government regulations statistics Social Security treasury securities david burge paul krugman treasury department innumeracy yield curve paul ryan amazon government bonds consumer spending purchasing power nominal interest rate alan krueger securities and exchange commission Madoff inflation expectations bush tax cuts government budget deficit ben bernanke government data common core public debt SEC humor healthcare household survey tax math federal reserve bank of st louis fred database marketplace Greece mitt romney facebook jon corzine PACA california state university iowahawk real gdp recession real interest rate census bureau obama Apple stupid ObamaCare jobs inflation bureau of economic analysis government debt monetary policy ecb federal reserve bureau of labor statistics eurozone labor force participation rate ACA gross domestic product npr euro gdp minimum wage wall street journal unemployment rate new york times featured