Posts Tagged businessweek
Would you rather allow individuals to invest up to $1,000 in a startup or have the government give the startup your tax dollars?
accredited investors, businessweek, cleantech, defense authorization act, ee times, energy program, government grants, national defense authorization act, sec regulations, small business innovation research, sophisticated investors, startups, vc firms, venture capital
The Newsletter SignupThe e-mail newsletter signup is temporarily disabled. If you're interested, please e-mail me directly.
- Watch for Interest Rates to Rise Soon May 11, 2015The Fed's attempt to rescue the economy using monetary policy alone has been a fool's errand. Now they face a Sophie's choice: (1) Do nothing and watch inflation increase, or (2) drain the excess reserves from the system and watch interest rates rise. Actually, interest rates will rise either way.TonyLima
- Don’t Blame Households for First Quarter GDP May 4, 2015The U.S. economy is still sick. It will not be cured until (if and when) the current regulatory onslaught emanating from Washington, D.C. is not just slowed, but rolled back. The U.S. needs business climate change.TonyLima
- Tariffs for the Long Haul April 4, 2015To get around the 25 percent tariff, Ford installs rear windows, rear seats, and seat belts prior to shipping the vehicles to the United States. These vehicles are no longer classified as commercial trucks but as passenger vehicles, which are subject to the much lower 2.5 percent tariff. Upon arrival in Baltimore, Maryland, the rear […]TonyLima
- Bay Area Air Quality District Proposes Violation of Constitution March 24, 2015A quick scan of BAAQMD's massive report shows a lot of concern for concentrations of various pollutants in different locations, but zero consideration of sources. Frankly, that's stupid. BAAQMD cannot determine the effectiveness of their regulations until they know the percentage of current pollution emitted by exempt structures. Until then they are simply whistling in […]TonyLima
- Watch for Interest Rates to Rise Soon May 11, 2015
- RT @SethGMartin: .@DMarcheskie @abc27News #wknd27 My father, SSG Stephen G Martin, KIA 1 July 2004 - Mosul, Iraq. #MemorialDay http://t.co/0I2MwljGgE, 3 hours ago
- RT @forcedexit: Wesley L. Smith. WWll, Silver Star, 2 Bronze Stars. 2 battlefield commissions, atomic veteran died of cancer for USA http://t.co/ipa3exFZ9Q, 3 hours ago
- 3 Inches of Snow Fall in San Diego, CA | BashFeed http://t.co/6GOTrvfc92, 3 hours ago
- John Nash, Nobel Winner Portrayed in 'A Beautiful Mind,' Dies in Car Crash http://t.co/POZgJ7yApL, 3 hours ago
- RT @GonzoVice: In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king., 13 hours ago
- seasonal patterns seasonal factors blumer bls data entrails jobless claims treasury secretary jack lew seasonality unemployment benefit government revenue loan default huelskamp debt contract debt payments promissory notes debt clock state and local governments legal obligations capitol hill synagogue sovereign nation canadian tar sands widget economic database environmentalists keystone paper checks social security checks Keystone XL demand curve tax incentive wood burning stoves demand curves public health risk greek environment wood fires incentives economic crisis heating oil congressional budget office u s department of education barack obama peter king math instruction education bureaucracy harry reid house speaker republicans house of representatives christie educrat instruction sparkling wine intellectual property issues sparkling wines geographical indications multilateral agreement flipping intellectual property rights korbel media scum lazy media zoning district takings clause roger kimball kafka the trial council for higher education accreditation san jose mercury news accredited universities pell grants federal student aid Joe Weisenthal Wesienthal u s mint national debt ceiling Jake Tapper simple accounting debt limit economic recovery credit card payment dollar coin first class postage cme data legacy systems health care industry allscripts electronic medical records arra patient information us postal service ups and fedex epic cerner corp goodyear supply shock titan international amiens france french workers french industry french government tire manufacturer maurice taylor prescription drugs partners in crime public colleges american council on education universities in california colleges and universities in california excel plugin dow jones bureau of internal revenue stork club eric felten california state legislature introductory college courses ira flatow justice department shakedown vaccines and autism andrew wakefield low information voter science friday flu vaccine miami university black teens seventh grade state board of education arne duncan justice system math education financial institutions reform recovery and enforcement act subprime mortgage rmbs justice department lawsuit o brien criminal prosecution futures options treasury security treasury futures security prices options trading mark of shame treasuries tyler durden cdos freedom of speech david neumark david macpherson william wascher income distribution national bureau of economic research youth unemployment jobless rate minority youth trinity university survey article formal sector governor rick perry texas governor rick perry government credit downgrade governor brown california businesses minimum wage increases truck rental governor perry world trade organization world trade organization wto robert heinlein campbell mcconnell barry commoner economist milton friedman tanstaafl energy crises employment statistics oil energy oil markets moon is a harsh mistress Commoner CSUEB Romney Marie Myung-Ok Lee waste of tax dollars California budget Freidman council of economic advisers Morishita excel workbook nobel prize committee value of education foundations of economic analysis incinerator harrisburg pennsylvania finding apartments rent control polls landslide san francisco bond girl margin of error european monetary union european economic union nobel peace prize history of the european union european economic community gdp growth statistical fluke common market obesity Social Security fail center on budget and policy priorities health insurance premiums twitter tweets marginal cost curve van de water health expenditures ct scanners pet scanners polling firms imdb Charles Jones Robert Hall rule of law streaming video Airplay internet movie database home theater system Mountain Lion supply curve mri machines substance abuse treatment rehabilitation activities education job search PRWORA mental health treatment family assistance training education needy families rehabilitation programs TANF welfare price increases excise tax marginal costs polling errorNBC media innumeracy welfare work mainstream media idiots media goofs california faculty association math capabilities market futures national defense authorization house republican caucus securities and exchange snap program sequestration mayans tax cuts plan b aol arthur levitt consumer price index career success consumers nutrition assistance supplemental nutrition chairman arthur levitt supplemental nutrition assistance program department of agriculture limerick Dr. Goose war in vietnam war on poverty tax surcharge george santayana lyndon johnson economic history champagne region of france temporary tax change permanent income model president lyndon johnson Carney john carney light trucks fiscal policy analysis agricultural bill futures traders supply and demand milk prices cnbc commerce department consumer confidence meta analysis brooke gladstone central limit theorem university california political polling random sample political economist public radio international response rate union dues teacher credentialing democratic politicians voucher programs tenure decisions unholy trinity reading comprehension democratic agenda csu system bad teachers eric zencey university of vermont price of gasoline retail gasoline gasoline market Dennis Van Roekel british petroleum consumer search bp gas prices fixed cost pbs teachers union egregious error domestic transactions ecological economics punctuation pbs news hour newshour jeffrey brown national education association baby boom supply side economics Atlantic earned income tax credit Lundstrom Sabia NIPA value added subject matter knowledge Google Davidow Burkhauser Neumark first quarter investment backward looking demand elasticity price discrimination poverty export beef price Krugman Volcker data journalists population density Gaza Texas San Francisco Muni zero emissions hybrid SF Muni annual revision third estimate affordable car act Ferguson Benko car loans BEA second estimate advance estimate historical data forward looking shock San Bernardino Stockton municipal bankruptcy Crimea Harrisburg Detroit self-deportation illegal immigration puerto rico debt Russia custody account Intuit online order system Ricoh TurboTax tax refund commodity prices food prices best of the web stupid policy government waste archaic regulations Ackman Freddy Mac Fannie Mae 2014:1 negative interest rate estimates MediCal Medicaid Mel Watt housing bubble first amendment third-party payments FDIC second amendment suppression charity buzz looktothestars celebrity lunch Valparaiso spelling is hard tastes of life IP investment intellectual property subprime rv loans life challenge of michigan pricing cell phone TPPP confusion The Interview exchange rate employment parent participation McArdle J.S.G. Boggs currency economic policy cronyism art credit rating kelsey harness Bay Area Air Quality Management District air pollution inversion John Taylor BAAQMD tariff investment collapse Subaru light truck Lee Rubio reserves debt ownership daily signal spam heroine tax policy default risk premium my first client satire rain tax auto computer hidden tax dmv post hoc Jeter baseball wage marginal revenue product Yankees suicide luxury tax Hawaiian independence native Hawaiian Hawaii politics AmeriCorps yacht tax snack tax corporate income tax productivity cults monopoly pricing Hungary foreign exchange banking monopoly market power Maryland elasticity Lerner Index bank regulation hospitality innovation Mulligan Douthat euro breakup Yellen incentive information Fed Staples New York Times stupid detroit michigan presidential campaign cbs news jim messina college enrollment professional sports facilities dennis coates andrew zimbalist robert whaples chapter 9 bankruptcy political cartoons adverse selection asymmetric information george akerlof moral hazard victorville daily press part time job full time work lisa benson red wings humphreys checks checking account jpmorgan overdrafts LASD Bullis Charter School negative externalities michelle obama BCS overdraft fee bank of america publicly financed stadiums Siegfried Noll intragovernmental holdings selling securities overdraft fees second chance checking accounts reallocation john reilly carbon tax public higher education baccalaureate degree higher education system Cyprus onerous requirement virtual laboratory university education university buildings tuition bill russians suckers cabaret tax birth rate roof gardens taxes cyprus banks haircut deposit balances russian mafia david blanchflower kai ryssdal lender of last resort liquidity crisis reinhardt bond market pboc bank of china david kestenbaum henry jacoby crunch federal debt rogoff embarrassment gura forum program incomes employment data 30 year treasuries u s treasury bonds cps economic profits food trucks Shereef Bishay Dev Bootcamp BPPE mistake Bishay full time Orwell health care Zanny Minton Beddoes health insurers single payer Michael Bromwich Cote Denise Cote Bromwich bully health insurance companies private health insurance health insurance industry newspeak stock split surplus shortage price rationing price control excess supply excess demand underground economy black market Venezuela Bitcoin Bloomberg View ivory Tim Cook stock buyback war on drugs bad research Bloomberg Sperling Sebelius antitrust AMAC income money mary jo white plea bargain wealth dollar interest capital gains saving government bureaucrats misdemeanor conviction entrepreneurial opportunity school cafeteria market imperfection externality school lunches economic activity bureaucrats economic analysis rent dissaving magical thinking economics research michael reich capitalist system federal government program Association of Mature American Citizens aarp american association of retired persons evsey domar mandates new york post john crudele global competition survey work falsification single point executive branch economic data max weber denison bad management economic woes scott adams stimulus bond yields term yields smart employees john c dvorak inventions monopolies copyright law inventor patents fomc southeast asian countries fbi ipods john maynard keynes shoot from the hip where are the jobs tax increases crackdown equity research insider trading susan pulliam legitimate research macintosh computer apple computer technology impacts economic efficiency david romer james poterba stanford university robert j gordon northwestern university business cycles cambridge massachusetts economic fluctuations nber research associate 1 million harvard univerity martin feldstein jeffrey frankel joe gagnon institute for international economics mr bush birthing centers medical practices administrative services cost of health care expansion bill electronic health records monetary affairs federal reserve board apy free exchange patient communication systems small businesses Foxconn visa inc federal reserve bank of chicago federal reserve bank financial literacy global credit credit markets government budget deficits national literacy summit treasurydirect gov http://gonzoecon.com/wp-ad u s treasury department debt government indebtedness medicare reform proposal corwin food and drug administration chris dodd barry bonds favorable treatment members of congress countrywide financial new york times columnist performance enhancing drugs plurality tea party pundit senator chris dodd mortgage interest rates budget trillion national public radio Civilian Aeronautics Board grade inflation attendance rates lubbers class attendance CAB airlines Foxcon suicide Foxcon China suicide Alfred Kahn deregulation college faculty going to college walmart obscene profits exxon mobil lucifer exxon evil corporations federal government spending wikipedia higher education optimal currency area scientific method TheTruth Wears Off trusts charities subprime market financial models econometric model financial crisis president roosevelt sound economic policy david brooks subprime mortgages census bureau press policy prescriptions domestic spending seasonal variation financial market meltdown economic advisers labor markets government takeover loan applications census workers job creation gary stern minneapolis fed student loan program political favoritism iphone four more years mobile version blackberry Android cuba military court bank of india foreign nationals remittances money transfers bernard madoff wall street paypal india money state of the economy banking crisis indian regulators personal payments reserve bank of india stock market losses ancient mayans smith barney 1098 forms Merrill Lynch Roth IRA ksm interest free loan champion martha stewart stewart sentencing five months 100 million fraud biggest banks ron feldman debt instruments government issues fiscal stimulus mr cameron david cameron stimulus package credit card balance budget surpluses toyota vehicle sudden acceleration crash data nhtsa driver error transfer payments fiscal policy hedge funds limited partnership financial institutions financial instruments hedge fund pension fund managers confidence bernanke economic forecasters government policies wages mandate national highway traffic safety administration acceleration problems trades market crash limit order djia employment prospects wsj durable goods business inventories tbtf monetary instruments economies of scale w wilson private domestic investment bls web economic events international airline european competitors unintended consequences subsidies toyota motor corp european governments european airlines layoffs separations optimism emirates airlines airbus a380s taxpayer money international finance capital gains tax community organizer budget proposal tax expenditures health care benefits dividend income Jim Yong Kim World Bank startups energy program businessweek ee times venture capital taxing capital tax preferences FLA TLA three letter acronym four letter acronym nominal interest rates nobel prize in economics growth muni charitable contributions mortgage interest interest payments local taxes municipal bond interest sec regulations vc firms rear view camera capital goods rear view mirror mini vans benefit cost analysis benefit cost ratio cepr durable goods orders david owen bad analysis eggs hens green station wagon department of transportation national defense authorization act small business innovation research government grants accredited investors cleantech defense authorization act customer accounts joe nocera Galbraith european currencies federal prosecutors customer funds Zuckerberg criminal andrew hacker algebra is hard brandeis university professional athletes queens college science math Hacker Draghi james henry offshore bank martian Martian banks Mars color laser printer abe lincoln robert solow endogenous growth theory factor productivity social infrastructure technological growth paul romer unemployment benefits security features counterfeiters security thread color copier ben franklin counterfeit tax havens math is hard Kathleen Hays St. Louis Fed economic stimulus unconventional LFPR Anna Schwartz Business Cycles Committee NBER ERM grexit Stewart Ponzi calubtun debt to gdp ratio medical device tax mortgage finance discrimination lawsuit banking history mortgage brokers Costco mortgage originations housing crisis PET scanner CT scanner medical device makers medical device manufacturer bank lending Boockvar numerical skills Official inflation rate Argentina seasonal holiday civilian labor force government jobs labor force participation inflationary pressures regulatory uncertainty southern euro northern euro quadratic formula corporate bond yields u s government bonds unemployed workers new businesses euro exchange rate optimum currency areas eurozone countries deutschemark market reforms adjustment mechanism cocoa chocolate chocolate consumption debt crisis cocoa prices chocolate lovers holidays Supersad True Love Story allan h meltzer debt plan copom roger vadim hurricane irene houghton mifflin patricia bosworth depreciation brazilian real monetary policy committee AAPL interest parity brazil government devaluation barbarella jane fonda transportation projects payroll tax reduction national labor relations board free trade agreement gary shteyngart unemployment insurance benefits ken rogoff california public employees retirement system hanoi public employees retirement system CalPERS california state government leading economic indicators euro countries valley transportation authority santa clara valley transportation authority bus rapid transit bus lanes mountain view vta federal government regulation tax preparation california state taxes cengage middle class taxpayers tax simplification alternative minimum tax palo alto sunnyvale office of the president delinquency rate population estimates french champagne employment unemployment wtop segraves san jose santa clara tim geithner executive office of the president compliance rate information goods brt EEOC california government stupid Constitution ethanol government mandate cellulosic ethanol green standards california gasoline leading indicator statistical tools disposable income per capita income new host biofuel high school diploma expectation inflation curve real yield curve aplia apple store principles of economics information economics TIPS nominal yield curve yield curves ethanol production ethanol technology Greece crisis new yorker federal government debt exchange rate risk karl rove Mundell mainstream media u s treasury athenahealth debt ceiling wells fargo jonathan bush personal income department of justice treasury notes graduation rate complexity Dave Barry fedex Euro crisis government los altos bank reserves ups dean baker mortgage backed securities fomc meeting inflation protected securities treasury inflation protected securities discouraged workers employment report IRS U.S. economy bad spelling tax returns inflation target olivier blanchard inflation rate international monetary fund bailout citibank Stanford mf global economics financial meltdown 1099 forms Great Recession central banks macroeconomic policy new jobs bls gov money supply government spending financial markets sophisticated investors economy unemployment numbers downward revision retail sales collateralized debt obligations economists great depression health care bill treasury bills population survey minimum wage hike informal sector European Central Bank princeton city of detroit economist bonds usps national debt debt obligations ken gardner Treasury u s postal service canada municipal bond Germany California subprime auto loans environment operation choke point eric holder uncovered interest parity subprime education The Economist affordable care act Taranto Puerto Rico slow growth default congress empirical studies political science banks economic growth Netflix pollster Reed Hastings banking system unemployment municipal bonds dividends facebook ipo ipo optimum currency area Dodd-Frank statistics dexit statisticians charter schools national income accounting john boehner stock market government regulations teachers unions food stamps Social Security california state university east bay kqed free lunch milton friedman economic principles paul krugman government bonds innumeracy treasury department david burge amazon bls treasury securities household survey alan krueger paul ryan Madoff consumer spending purchasing power nominal interest rate mitt romney securities and exchange commission government budget deficit yield curve ben bernanke inflation expectations bush tax cuts excess reserves healthcare government data humor common core interest rates regulation math Greece choke point tax fred database public debt SEC fail PACA jon corzine iowahawk algebra california state university federal reserve bank of st louis seasonal adjustment marketplace default risk recession real interest rate census bureau obama Apple jobs stupid real gdp facebook bureau of economic analysis ecb ObamaCare government debt bureau of labor statistics inflation eurozone gross domestic product federal reserve monetary policy npr labor force participation rate ACA euro wall street journal minimum wage gdp unemployment rate new york times featured