Posts Tagged macroeconomic policy
“Is Paul Krugman leaving Princeton in quiet disgrace?” That’s the headline over Ralph Benko’s column in the latest issue of Forbes. And it’s a doozy of a story. First, Mr. Benko notes the official statement from Princeton after the announcement of Prof. Krugman’s departure → Mr. Benko characterizes this as “tepid.” I’d say it’s more like, […]
Blanchard’s argument is that by raising the inflation target, nominal interest rates would be higher. This, he proposes, would give central banks more room to reduce interest rates to stimulate the economy. Unfortunately, Prof. Blanchard has made an error that should make him blush.
central banks, inflation rate, inflation target, international monetary fund, macroeconomic policy, nominal interest rate, olivier blanchard, policy prescriptions, purchasing power, real interest rate
The Newsletter SignupThe e-mail newsletter signup is temporarily disabled. If you're interested, please e-mail me directly.
- Happy to be Wrong About TPA June 29, 2015Like every economist worthy of the name I favor free trade. But I also predicted that TPA would never make it to the Oval Office. I was wrong, but in this case I'm happy to be wrong about TPA. Mea culpa.TonyLima
- Tax Revenue and the Obergefell Decision June 29, 2015Pulling together these disparate elements, my estimate is that the federal government will collect about $375 million in additional tax revenue.TonyLima
- How Much a Human Life is Worth June 25, 2015The implied value of a human life is between $1,270,181.30 and $1,750,790.44. This compares favorably with the accepted standard of $5 million per human life.TonyLima
- Letter From Anna Eshoo June 24, 2015Got that? A free, open and accessible Internet requires government regulation! Only in certain parts of Washington, D.C. does that make any sense.TonyLima
- Happy to be Wrong About TPA June 29, 2015
- Records show Clinton withheld emails about oil, terrorism | http://t.co/9GwWB7xaGp http://t.co/EFNSB90ksL, 10 hours ago
- Happy to be Wrong About TPA https://t.co/PMLkU23h0X, 13 hours ago
- Sir Tim Hunt investigation reveals flaws about Connie St Louis' testimony | Daily Mail Online http://t.co/0f3fuOFSit, 16 hours ago
- RT @davidschneider: ATMs in Greece are now offering other services as they run out of cash. http://t.co/qd2aI7VmOG, 16 hours ago
- RT @baseballcrank: @daveweigel @jonathanchait Describing ACA as inspired by Heritage is like describing all SSM opposition as inspired by Bill Clinton., 16 hours ago
- heating oil wood fires greek environment wood burning stoves economic crisis incentives economic database demand curve tax incentive demand curves public health risk jobless claims entrails seasonal patterns seasonal factors seasonality jack lew synagogue capitol hill treasury secretary widget canadian tar sands tyler durden options trading security prices futures options treasuries mark of shame justice system o brien criminal prosecution treasury security treasury futures keystone environmentalists sovereign nation Keystone XL social security checks cme data first class postage paper checks blumer bls data debt limit simple accounting u s mint national debt ceiling dollar coin credit card payment Joe Weisenthal Wesienthal economic recovery Jake Tapper lazy media harry reid barack obama peter king math instruction house speaker christie media scum republicans house of representatives kafka the trial roger kimball promissory notes debt payments loan default huelskamp legal obligations state and local governments unemployment benefit government revenue debt clock debt contract congressional budget office council for higher education accreditation zoning district takings clause san jose mercury news federal student aid u s department of education accredited universities pell grants arne duncan state board of education low information voter science friday flu vaccine andrew wakefield introductory college courses california state legislature american council on education universities in california colleges and universities in california vaccines and autism ira flatow ups and fedex epic patient information arra us postal service prescription drugs justice department shakedown partners in crime public colleges excel plugin haircut deposit balances russian mafia cyprus banks suckers russians baccalaureate degree higher education system Cyprus taxes cabaret tax stork club eric felten dow jones bureau of internal revenue baby boom birth rate roof gardens supply side economics legacy systems health care industry truck rental governor perry california businesses governor brown minimum wage increases formal sector william wascher income distribution survey article governor rick perry texas governor rick perry justice department lawsuit financial institutions reform recovery and enforcement act math education seventh grade rmbs subprime mortgage government credit downgrade freedom of speech cdos david macpherson david neumark tire manufacturer maurice taylor french industry french workers french government goodyear allscripts electronic medical records cerner corp supply shock titan international trinity university youth unemployment national bureau of economic research minority youth jobless rate amiens france miami university black teens education bureaucracy educrat european monetary union european economic union nobel peace prize nobel prize committee history of the european union european economic community gdp growth statistical fluke common market excel workbook employment statistics campbell mcconnell barry commoner economist milton friedman moon is a harsh mistress robert heinlein tanstaafl oil energy oil markets energy crises margin of error bond girl democratic politicians voucher programs tenure decisions math capabilities unholy trinity reading comprehension democratic agenda csu system bad teachers california faculty association polls foundations of economic analysis incinerator harrisburg pennsylvania value of education finding apartments landslide san francisco rent control Commoner Freidman excise tax marginal costs mri machines supply curve price increases polling errorNBC mainstream media idiots media goofs media innumeracy health expenditures ct scanners twitter tweets polling firms imdb health insurance premiums center on budget and policy priorities pet scanners van de water marginal cost curve welfare work welfare Romney Marie Myung-Ok Lee obesity Social Security fail CSUEB waste of tax dollars council of economic advisers Morishita California budget training education needy families education job search PRWORA TANF rehabilitation activities substance abuse treatment rehabilitation programs family assistance mental health treatment teacher credentialing union dues agricultural bill john carney light trucks fiscal policy analysis futures traders cnbc Carney supply and demand milk prices Dr. Goose limerick market futures national defense authorization house republican caucus securities and exchange snap program sequestration mayans tax cuts plan b president lyndon johnson george santayana geographical indications sparkling wine intellectual property issues sparkling wines multilateral agreement korbel instruction flipping intellectual property rights world trade organization world trade organization wto war in vietnam war on poverty tax surcharge lyndon johnson economic history champagne region of france temporary tax change permanent income model aol arthur levitt egregious error domestic transactions ecological economics university of vermont punctuation pbs news hour newshour jeffrey brown national education association eric zencey political economist brooke gladstone central limit theorem university california meta analysis political polling public radio international response rate random sample teachers union pbs consumer price index career success consumers commerce department nutrition assistance supplemental nutrition chairman arthur levitt supplemental nutrition assistance program department of agriculture consumer confidence bp retail gasoline gasoline market Dennis Van Roekel price of gasoline british petroleum gas prices fixed cost consumer search public higher education onerous requirement hybrid SF Muni San Francisco Muni Texas zero emissions Valparaiso native Hawaiian Hawaii spelling is hard data journalists advance estimate historical data BEA car loans second estimate third estimate population density Gaza annual revision Hawaiian independence politics marginal revenue product Yankees baseball Jeter wage productivity Mulligan Douthat cults auto computer hidden tax snack tax corporate income tax AmeriCorps yacht tax luxury tax dmv post hoc suicide affordable car act Ferguson negative interest rate 2014:1 Ackman Freddy Mac Medicaid MediCal forward looking shock estimates Fannie Mae Mel Watt second amendment first amendment third-party payments FDIC suppression celebrity lunch housing bubble charity buzz looktothestars backward looking investment value added NIPA Atlantic earned income tax credit Davidow Google Benko Volcker subject matter knowledge Lundstrom Sabia price discrimination demand elasticity first quarter beef price export Burkhauser Neumark poverty innovation euro breakup union Los Angeles investment collapse Subaru zirp imf credit TISA TPP light truck tariff Lee Rubio tax policy default risk premium John Taylor inversion BAAQMD Bay Area Air Quality Management District air pollution bad credit stolen ssn value of human life gary richards Mr Roadshow Title II Obergefell same-sex marriage mea culpa TAA marriage tax penalty FCC Eshoo schwartz crypto-currency ricardo friedman ten dollar bill Goldberg Schindler OPM my first client heroine Maryland elasticity Lerner Index market power rain tax satire employment parent participation McArdle monopoly monopoly pricing incentive information Fed Yellen hospitality bank regulation Hungary foreign exchange banking J.S.G. Boggs art credit rating cell phone TPPP confusion kelsey harness daily signal spam reserves debt ownership pricing life challenge of michigan exchange rate economic policy cronyism The Interview subprime rv loans tastes of life IP investment intellectual property government waste stupid policy overdraft fee bank of america overdraft fees second chance checking accounts overdrafts jpmorgan LASD checks checking account reallocation selling securities red wings dennis coates andrew zimbalist robert whaples humphreys Noll intragovernmental holdings publicly financed stadiums Siegfried Bullis Charter School BCS plea bargain government bureaucrats misdemeanor conviction economic activity mary jo white money dollar wealth income bureaucrats school lunches economic profits negative externalities michelle obama food trucks market imperfection externality entrepreneurial opportunity school cafeteria professional sports facilities college enrollment rogoff 30 year treasuries u s treasury bonds cps federal debt bond market lender of last resort liquidity crisis reinhardt employment data incomes university education university buildings tuition bill virtual laboratory david blanchflower kai ryssdal embarrassment gura forum program pboc bank of china political cartoons part time job full time work lisa benson chapter 9 bankruptcy jim messina detroit michigan presidential campaign cbs news victorville daily press moral hazard david kestenbaum henry jacoby crunch carbon tax john reilly adverse selection asymmetric information george akerlof saving capital gains surplus shortage price rationing price control excess supply excess demand underground economy black market Venezuela Bloomberg View Bloomberg Tim Cook stock buyback stock split newspeak ivory war on drugs Sperling Sebelius bad research New York Times stupid Staples San Bernardino Stockton municipal bankruptcy Crimea Harrisburg Detroit self-deportation illegal immigration puerto rico debt Russia custody account Intuit online order system Ricoh TurboTax tax refund commodity prices food prices best of the web Orwell health care michael reich evsey domar mandates single point economics research magical thinking american association of retired persons federal government program capitalist system executive branch economic data dissaving rent interest global competition john crudele falsification survey work new york post aarp Association of Mature American Citizens BPPE mistake health insurers single payer Dev Bootcamp Shereef Bishay Zanny Minton Beddoes full time Bishay health insurance companies private health insurance Denise Cote antitrust AMAC Cote Michael Bromwich health insurance industry bully Bromwich internet movie database home theater system stimulus scott adams term yields bond yields southeast asian countries fomc bad management economic woes inventor copyright law patents john c dvorak smart employees susan pulliam insider trading shoot from the hip john maynard keynes tax increases where are the jobs Foxconn small businesses fbi ipods macintosh computer legitimate research apple computer equity research crackdown inventions monopolies stanford university david romer robert j gordon business cycles joe gagnon northwestern university james poterba cambridge massachusetts harvard univerity nber research associate martin feldstein jeffrey frankel economic fluctuations federal reserve board monetary affairs medical practices mr bush administrative services cost of health care technology impacts economic efficiency birthing centers expansion bill apy international finance free exchange patient communication systems electronic health records Foxcon Foxcon suicide financial literacy federal reserve bank credit markets global credit corwin medicare reform proposal visa inc federal reserve bank of chicago debt government u s treasury department indebtedness national literacy summit government budget deficits tea party plurality favorable treatment barry bonds countrywide financial members of congress professional athletes taxpayer money food and drug administration chris dodd senator chris dodd pundit mortgage interest rates performance enhancing drugs new york times columnist treasurydirect gov http://gonzoecon.com/wp-ad attendance rates grade inflation class attendance lubbers going to college college faculty national public radio Civilian Aeronautics Board Alfred Kahn China suicide deregulation airlines CAB higher education wikipedia lucifer exxon mobil exxon trillion budget walmart obscene profits scientific method optimal currency area TheTruth Wears Off federal government spending evil corporations 1 million trusts subprime market financial models econometric model financial crisis president roosevelt sound economic policy david brooks subprime mortgages census bureau press policy prescriptions domestic spending seasonal variation financial market meltdown economic advisers labor markets government takeover loan applications census workers job creation gary stern minneapolis fed student loan program political favoritism iphone four more years mobile version blackberry Android cuba military court bank of india foreign nationals remittances money transfers bernard madoff wall street paypal india money state of the economy banking crisis indian regulators personal payments reserve bank of india stock market losses ancient mayans smith barney 1098 forms Merrill Lynch Roth IRA ksm interest free loan champion martha stewart stewart sentencing five months 100 million fraud biggest banks ron feldman debt instruments government issues fiscal stimulus mr cameron david cameron stimulus package credit card balance budget surpluses toyota vehicle sudden acceleration crash data nhtsa driver error transfer payments fiscal policy hedge funds limited partnership financial institutions financial instruments charities hedge fund pension fund managers confidence bernanke economic forecasters government policies wages mandate national highway traffic safety administration acceleration problems trades market crash limit order djia employment prospects wsj durable goods business inventories tbtf monetary instruments economies of scale w wilson private domestic investment bls web economic events international airline european competitors unintended consequences subsidies toyota motor corp european governments european airlines layoffs separations optimism emirates airlines airbus a380s monetary policy committee institute for international economics charitable contributions mortgage interest interest payments local taxes muni municipal bond interest tax preferences taxing capital budget proposal capital gains tax tax expenditures dividend income health care benefits growth TLA ERM grexit Stewart Ponzi NBER calubtun criminal Zuckerberg three letter acronym FLA four letter acronym nobel prize in economics nominal interest rates community organizer Jim Yong Kim Galbraith department of transportation joe nocera european currencies customer funds federal prosecutors station wagon benefit cost analysis rear view camera capital goods rear view mirror mini vans benefit cost ratio customer accounts defense authorization act startups energy program businessweek ee times World Bank venture capital sec regulations vc firms national defense authorization act small business innovation research government grants accredited investors cleantech Business Cycles Committee St. Louis Fed counterfeiters security thread color copier ben franklin security features counterfeit abe lincoln color laser printer brandeis university andrew hacker numerical skills science math queens college unemployment benefits interest parity Robert Hall rule of law Charles Jones streaming video Mountain Lion Airplay max weber denison factor productivity robert solow social infrastructure paul romer technological growth algebra is hard Hacker PET scanner CT scanner medical device makers medical device manufacturer housing crisis bank lending medical device tax debt to gdp ratio economic stimulus Kathleen Hays unconventional Anna Schwartz LFPR mortgage originations discrimination lawsuit martian james henry Martian banks Mars Draghi offshore bank tax havens banking history mortgage finance mortgage brokers Costco math is hard cepr endogenous growth theory unemployed workers government jobs new businesses debt crisis cocoa prices chocolate consumption labor force participation civilian labor force regulatory uncertainty u s government bonds inflationary pressures Official inflation rate seasonal holiday chocolate lovers holidays leading economic indicators market reforms french champagne statistical tools disposable income leading indicator adjustment mechanism deutschemark cocoa chocolate optimum currency areas euro exchange rate eurozone countries corporate bond yields quadratic formula hurricane irene roger vadim patricia bosworth houghton mifflin jane fonda barbarella debt plan copom brazil government durable goods orders devaluation brazilian real depreciation hanoi california public employees retirement system gary shteyngart national labor relations board allan h meltzer euro countries southern euro northern euro transportation projects payroll tax reduction CalPERS public employees retirement system california state government ken rogoff unemployment insurance benefits per capita income Supersad True Love Story sunnyvale palo alto santa clara san jose executive office of the president tim geithner brt vta santa clara valley transportation authority federal government regulation valley transportation authority bus rapid transit bus lanes compliance rate wtop eggs david owen hens new host green bad analysis Boockvar office of the president delinquency rate population estimates employment unemployment AAPL tax preparation segraves cellulosic ethanol ethanol government mandate ethanol production Greece crisis ethanol technology Constitution high school diploma green standards california gasoline alternative minimum tax california government stupid EEOC yield curves biofuel cengage information goods principles of economics california state taxes TIPS middle class taxpayers tax simplification apple store information economics nominal yield curve expectation inflation curve real yield curve aplia fomc meeting mainstream media exchange rate risk IRS karl rove free trade agreement debt ceiling graduation rate mortgage backed securities department of justice treasury notes personal income Mundell federal government debt new yorker u s treasury government mountain view los altos complexity mf global eric holder dividends athenahealth Euro crisis Dave Barry employment report Argentina treasury inflation protected securities discouraged workers dean baker fedex ups inflation protected securities 1099 forms olivier blanchard inflation target bad spelling international monetary fund inflation rate macroeconomic policy central banks tax returns bailout economics Stanford municipal bonds financial meltdown U.S. economy citibank Great Recession retail sales downward revision sophisticated investors government spending money supply financial markets treasury bills wells fargo bank reserves new jobs bls gov economists collateralized debt obligations health care bill great depression economy unemployment numbers jonathan bush teachers unions Germany economic analysis municipal bond affordable care act The Economist Taranto Bitcoin economist princeton bonds usps informal sector minimum wage hike European Central Bank empirical studies Puerto Rico default uncovered interest parity currency operation choke point TPA hack facebook ipo free trade environment California slow growth archaic regulations education Krugman subprime auto loans subprime u s postal service city of detroit statistics pollster Reed Hastings government regulations Social Security free lunch california state university east bay Netflix canada optimum currency area dexit ipo unemployment banking system political science banks milton friedman economic growth congress Dodd-Frank stock market national debt ken gardner Treasury population survey john boehner debt obligations kqed economic principles statisticians charter schools national income accounting food stamps treasury department david burge government bonds paul krugman treasury securities paul ryan excess reserves amazon alan krueger innumeracy consumer spending securities and exchange commission purchasing power nominal interest rate household survey Madoff government budget deficit ben bernanke inflation expectations bush tax cuts yield curve regulation common core public debt SEC federal reserve bank of st louis healthcare government data bls choke point math seasonal adjustment fred database PACA marketplace Greece mitt romney fail jon corzine algebra california state university iowahawk default risk real gdp recession census bureau Apple real interest rate obama facebook stupid humor tax interest rates jobs bureau of economic analysis ecb ObamaCare government debt bureau of labor statistics inflation eurozone gross domestic product federal reserve labor force participation rate npr ACA monetary policy wall street journal euro minimum wage gdp unemployment rate new york times featured