Posts Tagged macroeconomic policy
“Is Paul Krugman leaving Princeton in quiet disgrace?” That’s the headline over Ralph Benko’s column in the latest issue of Forbes. And it’s a doozy of a story. First, Mr. Benko notes the official statement from Princeton after the announcement of Prof. Krugman’s departure → Mr. Benko characterizes this as “tepid.” I’d say it’s more like, […]
Blanchard’s argument is that by raising the inflation target, nominal interest rates would be higher. This, he proposes, would give central banks more room to reduce interest rates to stimulate the economy. Unfortunately, Prof. Blanchard has made an error that should make him blush.
central banks, inflation rate, inflation target, international monetary fund, macroeconomic policy, nominal interest rate, olivier blanchard, policy prescriptions, purchasing power, real interest rate
The Newsletter SignupThe e-mail newsletter signup is temporarily disabled. If you're interested, please e-mail me directly.
- Economic Fragility December 14, 2014Nervous? You bet. The only businesses that are not nervous are those who do not realize what's going on. Oh, wait, there's one other group that's safe -- those that are connected to people in the Obama administration.TonyLima
- Currency as Art December 9, 2014The work of J.S.G. Boggssecureadmin
- The BLS Has a Problem December 6, 2014This is yet another example of malfeasance at BLS. Future economists will be forced to exclude the 2013 – 2016 time period from their research because the numbers are not believable.TonyLima
- Schools Require Parent Participation November 22, 2014Charter schools are legal in California. The state education code as well as voter-passed propositions, have consistently shown broad public support for them. There are rules about the types and amounts of support a local school district must give each charter. Instead of fighting charter schools, perhaps folks should consider the model advanced by San […]TonyLima
- Economic Fragility December 14, 2014
- RT @DylanByers: Endorse! RT @justinjm1: Obama should invite Franco and Rogen to the White House. Dead serious., 1 hour ago
- RT @adamnagourney: Would Obama be open to showing The Interview in the White House screening room? He could invite Boehner, 1 hour ago
- RT @kesgardner: This pretty much sums it up. RT @hale_razor: Guy who jailed a filmmaker condemns Sony for caving to power of a government., 1 hour ago
- RT @seanmdav: You know what's a better policy than giving away X, and hoping for Y and Z to eventually materialize? Exchanging X for Y and Z., 1 hour ago
- RT @dave654f: Business as usual Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel Tries To Exempt Financial Firms From Ethics Laws http://t.co/OqZPLWvUys, 1 hour ago
- huelskamp debt contract congressional budget office u s department of education loan default debt payments state and local governments legal obligations promissory notes accredited universities pell grants roger kimball kafka the trial Joe Weisenthal takings clause zoning district federal student aid san jose mercury news council for higher education accreditation debt clock government revenue public health risk synagogue capitol hill demand curves wood burning stoves heating oil wood fires greek environment treasury secretary jack lew blumer bls data unemployment benefit seasonal factors seasonal patterns seasonality jobless claims entrails Wesienthal economic recovery sparkling wine intellectual property issues sparkling wines world trade organization geographical indications multilateral agreement flipping intellectual property rights korbel world trade organization wto champagne region of france war on poverty tax surcharge george santayana war in vietnam lyndon johnson temporary tax change permanent income model economic history instruction educrat national debt ceiling Jake Tapper lazy media u s mint simple accounting credit card payment dollar coin debt limit media scum republicans peter king math instruction education bureaucracy barack obama harry reid house of representatives christie house speaker economic crisis incentives miami university black teens jobless rate minority youth amiens france titan international french industry french workers supply shock trinity university youth unemployment survey article formal sector minimum wage increases income distribution william wascher national bureau of economic research david neumark david macpherson maurice taylor tire manufacturer prescription drugs us postal service ups and fedex partners in crime shakedown vaccines and autism ira flatow justice department epic patient information cerner corp goodyear french government electronic medical records allscripts arra legacy systems health care industry truck rental governor perry treasury futures cme data first class postage paper checks treasury security futures options tyler durden options trading security prices social security checks Keystone XL economic database demand curve tax incentive widget canadian tar sands keystone environmentalists sovereign nation treasuries mark of shame freedom of speech cdos subprime mortgage government credit downgrade texas governor rick perry california businesses governor brown governor rick perry rmbs justice department lawsuit justice system o brien criminal prosecution arne duncan state board of education financial institutions reform recovery and enforcement act math education seventh grade president lyndon johnson Carney council of economic advisers Morishita California budget waste of tax dollars Freidman Commoner barry commoner economist milton friedman moon is a harsh mistress CSUEB Romney rehabilitation programs family assistance mental health treatment needy families training education Marie Myung-Ok Lee obesity Social Security fail campbell mcconnell robert heinlein common market european economic community history of the european union statistical fluke gdp growth harrisburg pennsylvania bond girl margin of error european monetary union european economic union oil markets energy crises tanstaafl oil energy employment statistics nobel peace prize nobel prize committee excel workbook substance abuse treatment rehabilitation activities internet movie database home theater system Mountain Lion Airplay imdb polling firms health insurance premiums twitter tweets streaming video Charles Jones technological growth paul romer social infrastructure denison max weber Robert Hall rule of law economic growth center on budget and policy priorities marginal cost curve mainstream media idiots media goofs media innumeracy welfare work welfare education job search PRWORA TANF polling errorNBC price increases ct scanners pet scanners van de water health expenditures supply curve excise tax marginal costs mri machines incinerator foundations of economic analysis nutrition assistance consumer price index career success consumers supplemental nutrition department of agriculture arthur levitt chairman arthur levitt supplemental nutrition assistance program commerce department consumer confidence price of gasoline retail gasoline gasoline market british petroleum consumer search bp gas prices fixed cost aol securities and exchange john carney light trucks fiscal policy analysis agricultural bill futures traders supply and demand milk prices cnbc Dr. Goose limerick market futures national defense authorization house republican caucus snap program sequestration mayans tax cuts plan b Dennis Van Roekel pbs reading comprehension unholy trinity democratic politicians bad teachers csu system union dues teacher credentialing democratic agenda voucher programs tenure decisions rent control finding apartments value of education san francisco landslide math capabilities california faculty association polls university california central limit theorem punctuation egregious error domestic transactions pbs news hour national education association teachers union newshour jeffrey brown ecological economics university of vermont political polling meta analysis brooke gladstone random sample response rate eric zencey political economist public radio international andrew wakefield flu vaccine Freddy Mac Fannie Mae Mel Watt housing bubble Ackman archaic regulations slow growth negative interest rate 2014:1 charity buzz looktothestars FDIC government waste stupid policy third-party payments first amendment celebrity lunch suppression second amendment Medicaid MediCal Burkhauser Neumark poverty Sabia Lundstrom NIPA Atlantic earned income tax credit export beef price forward looking shock estimates backward looking investment price discrimination demand elasticity first quarter self-deportation illegal immigration shortage price rationing price control Bitcoin surplus excess supply black market Venezuela excess demand Bloomberg View Bloomberg Tim Cook stock buyback stock split ivory war on drugs Sperling Sebelius bad research underground economy New York Times stupid municipal bankruptcy Crimea Russia Stockton San Bernardino puerto rico debt Detroit Harrisburg custody account commodity prices online order system Ricoh Staples Intuit TurboTax food prices best of the web tax refund value added Davidow Fed Yellen euro breakup innovation information incentive choke point operation choke point hospitality Mulligan Douthat baseball Jeter auto computer Yankees marginal revenue product cults productivity wage bank regulation banking employment parent participation McArdle J.S.G. Boggs currency economic policy cronyism art satire rain tax monopoly pricing Hungary foreign exchange monopoly market power Maryland elasticity Lerner Index hidden tax dmv second estimate advance estimate historical data BEA third estimate annual revision journalists population density Gaza car loans affordable car act Krugman subject matter knowledge Google Volcker Benko subprime auto loans subprime Ferguson data Texas corporate income tax AmeriCorps politics snack tax yacht tax post hoc suicide luxury tax Hawaiian independence native Hawaiian hybrid SF Muni San Francisco Muni zero emissions environment Hawaii spelling is hard Valparaiso newspeak Orwell david kestenbaum henry jacoby crunch bank of china carbon tax john reilly adverse selection asymmetric information george akerlof pboc lender of last resort 30 year treasuries u s treasury bonds cps rogoff federal debt liquidity crisis reinhardt bond market moral hazard victorville daily press andrew zimbalist robert whaples professional sports facilities dennis coates red wings Siegfried Noll humphreys college enrollment detroit michigan part time job full time work lisa benson political cartoons chapter 9 bankruptcy presidential campaign cbs news jim messina employment data incomes baby boom bureau of internal revenue stork club eric felten supply side economics roof gardens taxes cabaret tax birth rate dow jones excel plugin introductory college courses low information voter science friday california state legislature colleges and universities in california public colleges american council on education universities in california cyprus banks russian mafia university education university buildings tuition bill david blanchflower kai ryssdal embarrassment gura forum program virtual laboratory onerous requirement suckers haircut deposit balances russians Cyprus public higher education baccalaureate degree higher education system publicly financed stadiums intragovernmental holdings federal government program capitalist system magical thinking economics research american association of retired persons aarp antitrust AMAC Association of Mature American Citizens michael reich evsey domar falsification survey work new york post economic data executive branch affordable care act mandates single point Denise Cote Cote Shereef Bishay regulation Dev Bootcamp Bishay full time health care Zanny Minton Beddoes The Economist BPPE mistake bully Bromwich Michael Bromwich health insurance industry private health insurance health insurers single payer health insurance companies john crudele global competition BCS Bullis Charter School LASD michelle obama negative externalities market imperfection food trucks economic profits checks checking account second chance checking accounts reallocation selling securities overdraft fees bank of america jpmorgan overdrafts overdraft fee school cafeteria entrepreneurial opportunity dollar wealth income saving capital gains dissaving rent interest money mary jo white economic analysis school lunches externality bureaucrats economic activity plea bargain government bureaucrats misdemeanor conviction factor productivity robert solow smart employees john c dvorak economic woes bad management stimulus scott adams patents inventor technology impacts economic efficiency monopolies inventions copyright law excess reserves term yields equity research apple computer crackdown ipods john maynard keynes fbi macintosh computer legitimate research fomc bond yields southeast asian countries susan pulliam insider trading cost of health care administrative services james poterba cambridge massachusetts david romer stanford university business cycles robert j gordon economic fluctuations jeffrey frankel 1 million trusts nber research associate harvard univerity martin feldstein northwestern university joe gagnon expansion bill patient communication systems birthing centers mr bush medical practices free exchange apy federal reserve board institute for international economics bank reserves monetary affairs international finance shoot from the hip tax increases national literacy summit indebtedness government budget deficits federal reserve bank of chicago federal reserve bank visa inc debt government u s treasury department trillion exxon budget http://gonzoecon.com/wp-ad treasurydirect gov financial literacy credit markets performance enhancing drugs mortgage interest rates new york times columnist chris dodd food and drug administration senator chris dodd pundit medicare reform proposal global credit corwin tea party plurality lucifer exxon mobil airlines deregulation CAB Civilian Aeronautics Board grade inflation national public radio Alfred Kahn China suicide small businesses where are the jobs Foxconn Foxcon Foxcon suicide attendance rates class attendance federal government spending TheTruth Wears Off evil corporations obscene profits walmart scientific method optimal currency area college faculty lubbers going to college higher education wikipedia charities hedge fund subprime market financial models econometric model financial crisis president roosevelt sound economic policy david brooks subprime mortgages census bureau press policy prescriptions domestic spending seasonal variation financial market meltdown economic advisers labor markets government takeover loan applications census workers job creation minneapolis fed student loan program political favoritism iphone four more years mobile version blackberry Android cuba military court bank of india foreign nationals remittances money transfers bernard madoff wall street paypal india money state of the economy banking crisis indian regulators personal payments reserve bank of india stock market losses ancient mayans smith barney 1098 forms Merrill Lynch Roth IRA ksm interest free loan champion martha stewart stewart sentencing five months 100 million fraud gary stern biggest banks government issues credit card balance debt instruments fiscal stimulus stimulus package mr cameron budget surpluses driver error sudden acceleration national highway traffic safety administration toyota vehicle crash data nhtsa david cameron transfer payments limited partnership pension fund managers hedge funds financial institutions financial instruments confidence mandate economic forecasters fiscal policy bernanke government policies wages acceleration problems toyota motor corp market crash durable goods trades limit order wsj djia business inventories private domestic investment monetary instruments ron feldman tbtf economies of scale w wilson employment prospects bls web european competitors european governments international airline unintended consequences subsidies european airlines airbus a380s separations economic events layoffs optimism emirates airlines barry bonds electronic health records venture capital ee times World Bank Jim Yong Kim capital gains tax community organizer businessweek startups cleantech accredited investors vc firms sec regulations energy program budget proposal tax expenditures municipal bond interest local taxes muni growth FLA TLA interest payments charitable contributions health care benefits dividend income taxing capital tax preferences mortgage interest government grants national defense authorization act green hens durable goods orders cepr rear view camera capital goods eggs david owen employment unemployment population estimates AAPL Boockvar bad analysis rear view mirror mini vans customer funds federal prosecutors customer accounts defense authorization act small business innovation research european currencies joe nocera benefit cost analysis benefit cost ratio station wagon department of transportation Galbraith three letter acronym four letter acronym Mars Martian banks Draghi Hacker andrew hacker algebra is hard martian james henry Costco mortgage brokers math is hard favorable treatment offshore bank brandeis university numerical skills counterfeit ben franklin security features unemployment benefits endogenous growth theory color copier counterfeiters queens college science math color laser printer abe lincoln security thread banking history mortgage finance calubtun Ponzi NBER Business Cycles Committee Kathleen Hays St. Louis Fed Stewart ERM nominal interest rates nobel prize in economics Zuckerberg criminal grexit economic stimulus unconventional bank lending medical device manufacturer housing crisis mortgage originations discrimination lawsuit medical device makers PET scanner LFPR Anna Schwartz debt to gdp ratio medical device tax CT scanner office of the president tax havens u s government bonds corporate bond yields regulatory uncertainty inflationary pressures Official inflation rate Argentina quadratic formula southern euro allan h meltzer gary shteyngart euro countries Supersad True Love Story northern euro seasonal holiday civilian labor force holidays chocolate lovers chocolate cocoa euro exchange rate optimum currency areas cocoa prices chocolate consumption government jobs labor force participation unemployed workers new businesses debt crisis national labor relations board transportation projects devaluation brazil government brazilian real depreciation debt plan copom interest parity monetary policy committee countrywide financial delinquency rate members of congress taxpayer money professional athletes roger vadim hurricane irene california state government CalPERS ken rogoff unemployment insurance benefits payroll tax reduction public employees retirement system california public employees retirement system houghton mifflin patricia bosworth barbarella jane fonda hanoi eurozone countries free trade agreement alternative minimum tax tax simplification tax preparation federal government regulation bus rapid transit valley transportation authority middle class taxpayers california state taxes information economics apple store principles of economics information goods cengage bus lanes vta compliance rate executive office of the president segraves deutschemark wtop tim geithner san jose mountain view brt palo alto sunnyvale santa clara aplia santa clara valley transportation authority california gasoline new host green standards california government stupid high school diploma EEOC per capita income disposable income market reforms adjustment mechanism french champagne statistical tools leading indicator Constitution leading economic indicators yield curves expectation inflation curve TIPS real yield curve nominal yield curve Greece crisis ethanol technology ethanol cellulosic ethanol government mandate ethanol production biofuel federal government debt new yorker default risk karl rove Mundell u s treasury athenahealth jonathan bush wells fargo mainstream media personal income department of justice treasury notes graduation rate inflation protected securities ups dean baker fedex Euro crisis treasury bills Dave Barry discouraged workers employment report IRS debt ceiling fomc meeting mortgage backed securities treasury inflation protected securities exchange rate risk economics bad spelling tax returns inflation target olivier blanchard inflation rate international monetary fund bailout citibank Stanford complexity financial meltdown U.S. economy 1099 forms Great Recession central banks macroeconomic policy bls gov economy new jobs money supply sophisticated investors government spending unemployment numbers great depression downward revision retail sales collateralized debt obligations economists health care bill financial markets milton friedman canada ken gardner u s postal service usps bonds interest rates national debt debt obligations john boehner food stamps stock market Dodd-Frank congress informal sector minimum wage hike Puerto Rico Taranto default education los altos California Germany municipal bond European Central Bank empirical studies princeton economist city of detroit national income accounting Treasury unemployment optimum currency area fail banking system algebra banks dexit ipo mf global government eric holder dividends statisticians municipal bonds political science facebook ipo population survey free lunch economic principles teachers unions charter schools Netflix california state university east bay kqed pollster Reed Hastings Social Security statistics government regulations treasury securities paul krugman treasury department david burge government bonds innumeracy alan krueger yield curve amazon paul ryan securities and exchange commission purchasing power nominal interest rate household survey consumer spending Madoff inflation expectations bush tax cuts government budget deficit ben bernanke healthcare common core public debt fred database humor government data bls tax math federal reserve bank of st louis SEC seasonal adjustment jon corzine Greece mitt romney PACA facebook iowahawk marketplace california state university real gdp recession real interest rate census bureau obama Apple stupid ObamaCare jobs inflation bureau of economic analysis government debt monetary policy ecb federal reserve bureau of labor statistics eurozone labor force participation rate ACA gross domestic product npr euro gdp minimum wage wall street journal unemployment rate new york times featured