Posts Tagged macroeconomic policy
“Is Paul Krugman leaving Princeton in quiet disgrace?” That’s the headline over Ralph Benko’s column in the latest issue of Forbes. And it’s a doozy of a story. First, Mr. Benko notes the official statement from Princeton after the announcement of Prof. Krugman’s departure → Mr. Benko characterizes this as “tepid.” I’d say it’s more like, […]
Blanchard’s argument is that by raising the inflation target, nominal interest rates would be higher. This, he proposes, would give central banks more room to reduce interest rates to stimulate the economy. Unfortunately, Prof. Blanchard has made an error that should make him blush.
central banks, inflation rate, inflation target, international monetary fund, macroeconomic policy, nominal interest rate, olivier blanchard, policy prescriptions, purchasing power, real interest rate
The Newsletter SignupThe e-mail newsletter signup is temporarily disabled. If you're interested, please e-mail me directly.
- Tariffs for the Long Haul April 4, 2015To get around the 25 percent tariff, Ford installs rear windows, rear seats, and seat belts prior to shipping the vehicles to the United States. These vehicles are no longer classified as commercial trucks but as passenger vehicles, which are subject to the much lower 2.5 percent tariff. Upon arrival in Baltimore, Maryland, the rear […]TonyLima
- Bay Area Air Quality District Proposes Violation of Constitution March 24, 2015A quick scan of BAAQMD's massive report shows a lot of concern for concentrations of various pollutants in different locations, but zero consideration of sources. Frankly, that's stupid. BAAQMD cannot determine the effectiveness of their regulations until they know the percentage of current pollution emitted by exempt structures. Until then they are simply whistling in […]TonyLima
- Tax Policy and Economic Growth March 5, 2015The point I’d like to add is that the U.S. has already done this once. In the 1970s, led by Cornell Professor Alfred E. Kahn, several important industries were deregulated: airlines, trucking, transportation generally, energy, communications (remember the old AT&T monopoly?), and finance (including banking). Each of these industries lowered prices, increased quantity offered and […]TonyLima
- Global Interest Rates Update February 28, 2015What, then, is the meaning of the expected change in the exchange rate, the term on the right side of the = sign? The Greek euro cannot depreciate against the German euro. In this case, we are measuring the default risk premium of the various countries.TonyLima
- Tariffs for the Long Haul April 4, 2015
- RT @hale_razor: Condi Rice: CONTROVERSIAL!! Loretta Lynch: HISTORIC. #LiberalLogic http://t.co/uHxbB4VnyQ, Apr 24
- Fact-checker doesn't understand, um, facts https://t.co/JIPRGkDl3t, Apr 24
- It’s not easy being Hillary https://t.co/L6ooozqR7g, Apr 24
- Carly Fiorina: We Need Nominee Who Will Throw Punches http://t.co/ZOoRsuHTwP, Apr 23
- RT @asymmetricinfo: Cue the Road Runner jokes. http://t.co/BbKKCigojE I don’t know about you, but I’m rooting for the coyote., Apr 23
- seasonal patterns seasonal factors blumer bls data entrails jobless claims treasury secretary jack lew seasonality unemployment benefit government revenue loan default huelskamp debt contract debt payments promissory notes debt clock state and local governments legal obligations capitol hill synagogue sovereign nation canadian tar sands widget economic database environmentalists keystone paper checks social security checks Keystone XL demand curve tax incentive wood burning stoves demand curves public health risk greek environment wood fires incentives economic crisis heating oil congressional budget office u s department of education barack obama peter king math instruction education bureaucracy harry reid house speaker republicans house of representatives christie educrat instruction sparkling wine intellectual property issues sparkling wines geographical indications multilateral agreement flipping intellectual property rights korbel media scum lazy media zoning district takings clause roger kimball kafka the trial council for higher education accreditation san jose mercury news accredited universities pell grants federal student aid Joe Weisenthal Wesienthal u s mint national debt ceiling Jake Tapper simple accounting debt limit economic recovery credit card payment dollar coin first class postage cme data legacy systems health care industry allscripts electronic medical records arra patient information us postal service ups and fedex epic cerner corp goodyear supply shock titan international amiens france french workers french industry french government tire manufacturer maurice taylor prescription drugs partners in crime public colleges american council on education universities in california colleges and universities in california excel plugin dow jones bureau of internal revenue stork club eric felten california state legislature introductory college courses ira flatow justice department shakedown vaccines and autism andrew wakefield low information voter science friday flu vaccine miami university black teens seventh grade state board of education arne duncan justice system math education financial institutions reform recovery and enforcement act subprime mortgage rmbs justice department lawsuit o brien criminal prosecution futures options treasury security treasury futures security prices options trading mark of shame treasuries tyler durden cdos freedom of speech david neumark david macpherson william wascher income distribution national bureau of economic research youth unemployment jobless rate minority youth trinity university survey article formal sector governor rick perry texas governor rick perry government credit downgrade governor brown california businesses minimum wage increases truck rental governor perry world trade organization world trade organization wto tanstaafl robert heinlein campbell mcconnell barry commoner energy crises oil markets excel workbook employment statistics oil energy economist milton friedman moon is a harsh mistress waste of tax dollars CSUEB Romney California budget Morishita Commoner Freidman council of economic advisers nobel prize committee nobel peace prize finding apartments value of education foundations of economic analysis incinerator rent control san francisco california faculty association polls landslide harrisburg pennsylvania bond girl history of the european union european monetary union european economic union european economic community common market margin of error gdp growth statistical fluke Marie Myung-Ok Lee obesity marginal cost curve center on budget and policy priorities health insurance premiums twitter van de water pet scanners supply curve health expenditures ct scanners tweets polling firms streaming video Charles Jones Robert Hall Airplay Mountain Lion imdb internet movie database home theater system mri machines marginal costs mental health treatment substance abuse treatment rehabilitation activities education job search family assistance rehabilitation programs Social Security fail training education needy families PRWORA TANF polling errorNBC price increases excise tax media innumeracy media goofs welfare welfare work mainstream media idiots math capabilities tenure decisions market futures national defense authorization house republican caucus securities and exchange snap program sequestration mayans tax cuts plan b aol arthur levitt consumer price index career success consumers nutrition assistance supplemental nutrition chairman arthur levitt supplemental nutrition assistance program department of agriculture limerick Dr. Goose war in vietnam war on poverty tax surcharge george santayana lyndon johnson economic history champagne region of france temporary tax change permanent income model president lyndon johnson Carney john carney light trucks fiscal policy analysis agricultural bill futures traders supply and demand milk prices cnbc commerce department consumer confidence political polling meta analysis brooke gladstone central limit theorem random sample response rate eric zencey political economist public radio international university california union dues unholy trinity democratic politicians voucher programs reading comprehension bad teachers teacher credentialing democratic agenda csu system university of vermont ecological economics price of gasoline retail gasoline gasoline market british petroleum consumer search bp gas prices fixed cost Dennis Van Roekel pbs punctuation egregious error domestic transactions pbs news hour national education association teachers union newshour jeffrey brown baby boom supply side economics earned income tax credit Lundstrom Sabia Burkhauser Atlantic NIPA Google Davidow value added Neumark poverty investment backward looking forward looking first quarter demand elasticity export beef price price discrimination subject matter knowledge Krugman journalists population density Gaza annual revision data Texas hybrid SF Muni San Francisco Muni third estimate second estimate Ferguson Benko Volcker affordable car act car loans advance estimate historical data BEA shock estimates San Bernardino Stockton municipal bankruptcy Crimea Harrisburg Detroit self-deportation illegal immigration puerto rico debt Russia custody account Intuit online order system Ricoh TurboTax tax refund commodity prices food prices best of the web stupid policy government waste archaic regulations Ackman Freddy Mac Fannie Mae 2014:1 negative interest rate MediCal Medicaid slow growth Mel Watt housing bubble first amendment third-party payments FDIC second amendment suppression charity buzz looktothestars celebrity lunch zero emissions Valparaiso IP investment intellectual property subprime rv loans The Interview tastes of life life challenge of michigan TPPP confusion pricing exchange rate economic policy parent participation McArdle satire employment J.S.G. Boggs cronyism art currency cell phone credit rating air pollution inversion John Taylor Lee Bay Area Air Quality Management District BAAQMD Subaru light truck tariff Rubio tax policy debt ownership daily signal kelsey harness reserves spam default risk premium my first client heroine rain tax Maryland hidden tax dmv post hoc suicide auto computer Jeter marginal revenue product Yankees baseball luxury tax yacht tax native Hawaiian Hawaii spelling is hard Hawaiian independence politics snack tax corporate income tax AmeriCorps wage productivity Hungary foreign exchange banking bank regulation monopoly pricing monopoly elasticity Lerner Index market power hospitality incentive Mulligan Douthat cults innovation euro breakup information Fed Yellen Staples New York Times stupid detroit michigan presidential campaign cbs news jim messina college enrollment professional sports facilities dennis coates andrew zimbalist robert whaples chapter 9 bankruptcy political cartoons adverse selection asymmetric information george akerlof moral hazard victorville daily press part time job full time work lisa benson red wings humphreys checks checking account jpmorgan overdrafts LASD Bullis Charter School negative externalities michelle obama BCS overdraft fee bank of america publicly financed stadiums Siegfried Noll intragovernmental holdings selling securities overdraft fees second chance checking accounts reallocation john reilly carbon tax public higher education baccalaureate degree higher education system Cyprus onerous requirement virtual laboratory university education university buildings tuition bill russians suckers cabaret tax birth rate roof gardens taxes cyprus banks haircut deposit balances russian mafia david blanchflower kai ryssdal lender of last resort liquidity crisis reinhardt bond market pboc bank of china david kestenbaum henry jacoby crunch federal debt rogoff embarrassment gura forum program incomes employment data 30 year treasuries u s treasury bonds cps economic profits food trucks Shereef Bishay Dev Bootcamp BPPE mistake Bishay full time Orwell health care Zanny Minton Beddoes health insurers single payer Michael Bromwich Cote Denise Cote Bromwich bully health insurance companies private health insurance health insurance industry newspeak stock split surplus shortage price rationing price control excess supply excess demand underground economy black market Venezuela Bitcoin Bloomberg View ivory Tim Cook stock buyback war on drugs bad research Bloomberg Sperling Sebelius antitrust AMAC income money mary jo white plea bargain wealth dollar interest capital gains saving government bureaucrats misdemeanor conviction entrepreneurial opportunity school cafeteria market imperfection externality school lunches economic activity bureaucrats economic analysis rent dissaving magical thinking economics research michael reich capitalist system federal government program Association of Mature American Citizens aarp american association of retired persons evsey domar mandates new york post john crudele global competition survey work falsification single point executive branch economic data rule of law max weber bad management economic woes scott adams stimulus bond yields term yields smart employees john c dvorak inventions monopolies copyright law inventor patents fomc southeast asian countries fbi ipods john maynard keynes shoot from the hip where are the jobs tax increases crackdown equity research insider trading susan pulliam legitimate research macintosh computer apple computer technology impacts economic efficiency david romer james poterba stanford university robert j gordon northwestern university business cycles cambridge massachusetts economic fluctuations nber research associate 1 million harvard univerity martin feldstein jeffrey frankel joe gagnon institute for international economics mr bush birthing centers medical practices administrative services cost of health care expansion bill electronic health records monetary affairs federal reserve board international finance free exchange patient communication systems small businesses Foxconn visa inc federal reserve bank of chicago federal reserve bank financial literacy global credit credit markets government budget deficits national literacy summit treasurydirect gov http://gonzoecon.com/wp-ad u s treasury department debt government indebtedness medicare reform proposal corwin food and drug administration chris dodd barry bonds favorable treatment members of congress countrywide financial new york times columnist performance enhancing drugs plurality tea party pundit senator chris dodd mortgage interest rates budget trillion national public radio Civilian Aeronautics Board grade inflation attendance rates lubbers class attendance CAB airlines Foxcon suicide Foxcon China suicide Alfred Kahn deregulation college faculty going to college walmart obscene profits exxon mobil lucifer exxon evil corporations federal government spending wikipedia higher education optimal currency area scientific method TheTruth Wears Off trusts charities subprime market financial models econometric model financial crisis president roosevelt sound economic policy david brooks subprime mortgages census bureau press policy prescriptions domestic spending seasonal variation financial market meltdown economic advisers labor markets government takeover loan applications census workers job creation gary stern minneapolis fed student loan program political favoritism iphone four more years mobile version blackberry Android cuba military court bank of india foreign nationals remittances money transfers bernard madoff wall street paypal india money state of the economy banking crisis indian regulators personal payments reserve bank of india stock market losses ancient mayans smith barney 1098 forms Merrill Lynch Roth IRA ksm interest free loan champion martha stewart stewart sentencing five months 100 million fraud biggest banks ron feldman debt instruments government issues fiscal stimulus mr cameron david cameron stimulus package credit card balance budget surpluses toyota vehicle sudden acceleration crash data nhtsa driver error transfer payments fiscal policy hedge funds limited partnership financial institutions financial instruments hedge fund pension fund managers confidence bernanke economic forecasters government policies wages mandate national highway traffic safety administration acceleration problems trades market crash limit order djia employment prospects wsj durable goods business inventories tbtf monetary instruments economies of scale w wilson private domestic investment bls web economic events international airline european competitors unintended consequences subsidies toyota motor corp european governments european airlines layoffs separations optimism emirates airlines airbus a380s taxpayer money apy budget proposal capital gains tax tax expenditures dividend income taxing capital health care benefits community organizer Jim Yong Kim businessweek startups ee times venture capital World Bank tax preferences mortgage interest three letter acronym FLA four letter acronym nobel prize in economics Zuckerberg nominal interest rates TLA growth interest payments charitable contributions local taxes municipal bond interest muni energy program sec regulations rear view mirror rear view camera mini vans benefit cost ratio station wagon benefit cost analysis capital goods cepr eggs david owen hens green durable goods orders department of transportation Galbraith government grants national defense authorization act accredited investors cleantech vc firms small business innovation research defense authorization act european currencies joe nocera federal prosecutors customer funds customer accounts criminal grexit brandeis university andrew hacker professional athletes science math color laser printer queens college algebra is hard Hacker martian james henry Martian banks Mars Draghi abe lincoln security thread factor productivity robert solow social infrastructure paul romer denison technological growth endogenous growth theory unemployment benefits color copier counterfeiters ben franklin counterfeit security features offshore bank tax havens economic stimulus Kathleen Hays unconventional Anna Schwartz debt to gdp ratio LFPR St. Louis Fed Business Cycles Committee Stewart ERM Ponzi calubtun NBER medical device tax CT scanner banking history mortgage finance mortgage brokers Costco math is hard discrimination lawsuit mortgage originations medical device makers PET scanner medical device manufacturer bank lending housing crisis bad analysis numerical skills Official inflation rate Argentina seasonal holiday civilian labor force government jobs labor force participation inflationary pressures regulatory uncertainty southern euro northern euro quadratic formula corporate bond yields u s government bonds unemployed workers new businesses euro exchange rate optimum currency areas eurozone countries deutschemark market reforms adjustment mechanism cocoa chocolate chocolate consumption debt crisis cocoa prices chocolate lovers holidays Supersad True Love Story allan h meltzer debt plan copom roger vadim hurricane irene houghton mifflin patricia bosworth depreciation brazilian real monetary policy committee Boockvar interest parity brazil government devaluation barbarella jane fonda transportation projects payroll tax reduction national labor relations board free trade agreement gary shteyngart unemployment insurance benefits ken rogoff california public employees retirement system hanoi public employees retirement system CalPERS california state government leading economic indicators euro countries bus rapid transit valley transportation authority bus lanes vta palo alto mountain view santa clara valley transportation authority federal government regulation middle class taxpayers california state taxes tax simplification alternative minimum tax tax preparation sunnyvale santa clara population estimates office of the president employment unemployment french champagne AAPL delinquency rate wtop tim geithner san jose executive office of the president compliance rate segraves cengage brt EEOC california government stupid Constitution ethanol government mandate cellulosic ethanol green standards california gasoline leading indicator statistical tools information goods disposable income new host per capita income biofuel high school diploma expectation inflation curve nominal yield curve aplia apple store principles of economics ethanol production real yield curve information economics TIPS Greece crisis ethanol technology yield curves federal government debt new yorker u s treasury karl rove mainstream media jonathan bush exchange rate risk department of justice athenahealth debt ceiling excess reserves personal income graduation rate treasury notes Mundell complexity Dave Barry fedex Euro crisis wells fargo government los altos ups dean baker mortgage backed securities fomc meeting inflation protected securities treasury inflation protected securities discouraged workers employment report IRS U.S. economy inflation target bad spelling tax returns olivier blanchard international monetary fund central banks inflation rate bailout citibank Stanford mf global economics financial meltdown 1099 forms Great Recession macroeconomic policy retail sales money supply new jobs government spending sophisticated investors treasury bills financial markets bls gov economy collateralized debt obligations downward revision economists health care bill unemployment numbers great depression bank reserves kqed empirical studies minimum wage hike European Central Bank princeton city of detroit economist bonds interest rates ken gardner national debt Treasury canada usps u s postal service municipal bond Germany California subprime auto loans environment operation choke point eric holder uncovered interest parity subprime education regulation affordable care act The Economist Taranto default Puerto Rico debt obligations informal sector economic growth political science banks Netflix Reed Hastings statistics pollster banking system congress municipal bonds dividends facebook ipo ipo optimum currency area dexit government regulations unemployment national income accounting statisticians john boehner stock market Dodd-Frank Social Security charter schools food stamps teachers unions free lunch california state university east bay population survey milton friedman economic principles paul krugman government bonds david burge treasury department innumeracy amazon household survey treasury securities alan krueger paul ryan securities and exchange commission consumer spending purchasing power nominal interest rate bls Madoff government budget deficit ben bernanke inflation expectations bush tax cuts yield curve government data humor common core public debt SEC healthcare math mitt romney choke point tax federal reserve bank of st louis fred database seasonal adjustment PACA jon corzine Greece algebra fail iowahawk marketplace california state university default risk recession real interest rate census bureau obama Apple real gdp stupid jobs facebook inflation ecb ObamaCare bureau of economic analysis government debt eurozone bureau of labor statistics monetary policy gross domestic product federal reserve labor force participation rate npr ACA euro gdp wall street journal minimum wage unemployment rate new york times featured