Posts Tagged macroeconomic policy
“Is Paul Krugman leaving Princeton in quiet disgrace?” That’s the headline over Ralph Benko’s column in the latest issue of Forbes. And it’s a doozy of a story. First, Mr. Benko notes the official statement from Princeton after the announcement of Prof. Krugman’s departure → Mr. Benko characterizes this as “tepid.” I’d say it’s more like, […]
Blanchard’s argument is that by raising the inflation target, nominal interest rates would be higher. This, he proposes, would give central banks more room to reduce interest rates to stimulate the economy. Unfortunately, Prof. Blanchard has made an error that should make him blush.
central banks, inflation rate, inflation target, international monetary fund, macroeconomic policy, nominal interest rate, olivier blanchard, policy prescriptions, purchasing power, real interest rate
The Newsletter SignupThe e-mail newsletter signup is temporarily disabled. If you're interested, please e-mail me directly.
- Bay Area Air Quality District Proposes Violation of Constitution March 24, 2015A quick scan of BAAQMD's massive report shows a lot of concern for concentrations of various pollutants in different locations, but zero consideration of sources. Frankly, that's stupid. BAAQMD cannot determine the effectiveness of their regulations until they know the percentage of current pollution emitted by exempt structures. Until then they are simply whistling in […]TonyLima
- Tax Policy and Economic Growth March 5, 2015The point I’d like to add is that the U.S. has already done this once. In the 1970s, led by Cornell Professor Alfred E. Kahn, several important industries were deregulated: airlines, trucking, transportation generally, energy, communications (remember the old AT&T monopoly?), and finance (including banking). Each of these industries lowered prices, increased quantity offered and […]TonyLima
- Global Interest Rates Update February 28, 2015What, then, is the meaning of the expected change in the exchange rate, the term on the right side of the = sign? The Greek euro cannot depreciate against the German euro. In this case, we are measuring the default risk premium of the various countries.TonyLima
- Spam Ultimate Fail February 27, 2015The subject line was "My First Client." "Swell," I thought, "real estate, hookers, who knows." I was about to delete it when I saw the highlighted sentence below.TonyLima
- Bay Area Air Quality District Proposes Violation of Constitution March 24, 2015
- Harry Reid’s appalling defense of his attack on Mitt Romney’s tax record - The Washington Post http://t.co/7tACnJRuwK, 1 hour ago
- Some details wrong, but the general idea works. I know -- I've done it. "Hillary’s emails: Deleted but not gone" http://t.co/KSR5V5drvQ, 1 hour ago
- ‘pls let me know if you got a reply from my ipad’: And just like that, Hillary’s ‘one-device’ claim goes POOF http://t.co/r6th89EbaD, 2 hours ago
- 50 YEARS AFTER 'NONE DARE CALL IT TREASON,' DAVID HOROWITZ RISES TO THE OCCASION http://t.co/S0IChH4Odb, 10 hours ago
- Off by a factor of ... https://t.co/3uXRVOXQnb, 11 hours ago
- blumer bls data unemployment benefit government revenue seasonal factors seasonal patterns seasonality jobless claims entrails debt clock state and local governments debt contract congressional budget office u s department of education huelskamp loan default legal obligations promissory notes debt payments jack lew treasury secretary widget economic database demand curve tax incentive canadian tar sands sovereign nation Keystone XL keystone environmentalists incentives economic crisis public health risk synagogue capitol hill demand curves wood burning stoves heating oil wood fires greek environment accredited universities pell grants math instruction education bureaucracy educrat instruction peter king barack obama christie house speaker harry reid flipping intellectual property rights sparkling wines world trade organization world trade organization wto intellectual property issues sparkling wine korbel multilateral agreement geographical indications house of representatives republicans roger kimball kafka the trial Joe Weisenthal Wesienthal takings clause zoning district federal student aid san jose mercury news council for higher education accreditation economic recovery credit card payment Jake Tapper lazy media media scum national debt ceiling u s mint dollar coin debt limit simple accounting social security checks paper checks allscripts electronic medical records cerner corp goodyear health care industry legacy systems epic patient information arra french government tire manufacturer amiens france miami university black teens titan international supply shock maurice taylor french industry french workers ups and fedex us postal service universities in california colleges and universities in california california state legislature introductory college courses american council on education public colleges eric felten dow jones excel plugin low information voter science friday shakedown partners in crime prescription drugs justice department ira flatow flu vaccine andrew wakefield vaccines and autism jobless rate minority youth arne duncan justice system o brien criminal prosecution state board of education seventh grade justice department lawsuit financial institutions reform recovery and enforcement act math education mark of shame treasuries treasury futures cme data first class postage treasury security futures options tyler durden options trading security prices rmbs subprime mortgage william wascher income distribution survey article formal sector david macpherson david neumark trinity university youth unemployment national bureau of economic research minimum wage increases truck rental government credit downgrade freedom of speech cdos texas governor rick perry governor rick perry governor perry california businesses governor brown champagne region of france temporary tax change campbell mcconnell barry commoner economist milton friedman moon is a harsh mistress robert heinlein tanstaafl oil energy oil markets energy crises Commoner Freidman Romney Marie Myung-Ok Lee obesity CSUEB waste of tax dollars council of economic advisers Morishita California budget employment statistics excel workbook foundations of economic analysis incinerator harrisburg pennsylvania bond girl value of education finding apartments landslide san francisco rent control margin of error gdp growth european economic union nobel peace prize nobel prize committee european monetary union history of the european union statistical fluke common market european economic community Social Security fail training education health insurance premiums twitter tweets polling firms center on budget and policy priorities marginal cost curve ct scanners pet scanners van de water imdb internet movie database Robert Hall rule of law max weber Charles Jones streaming video home theater system Mountain Lion Airplay health expenditures supply curve rehabilitation activities education job search PRWORA TANF substance abuse treatment mental health treatment needy families rehabilitation programs family assistance welfare welfare work excise tax marginal costs mri machines price increases polling errorNBC mainstream media idiots media goofs media innumeracy polls california faculty association house republican caucus securities and exchange aol arthur levitt national defense authorization market futures plan b sequestration snap program chairman arthur levitt supplemental nutrition assistance program consumers commerce department consumer confidence career success consumer price index department of agriculture supplemental nutrition nutrition assistance tax cuts mayans tax surcharge george santayana president lyndon johnson Carney war on poverty war in vietnam permanent income model economic history lyndon johnson supply and demand milk prices fiscal policy analysis Dr. Goose limerick light trucks john carney cnbc futures traders agricultural bill bp gas prices brooke gladstone central limit theorem university california union dues meta analysis political polling public radio international response rate random sample teacher credentialing democratic agenda voucher programs tenure decisions math capabilities democratic politicians unholy trinity csu system bad teachers reading comprehension political economist eric zencey gasoline market Dennis Van Roekel pbs retail gasoline price of gasoline fixed cost consumer search british petroleum teachers union newshour domestic transactions ecological economics university of vermont egregious error punctuation jeffrey brown national education association pbs news hour stork club bureau of internal revenue Sabia Burkhauser Neumark poverty Lundstrom earned income tax credit value added NIPA Atlantic export beef price forward looking shock estimates backward looking investment price discrimination demand elasticity first quarter Davidow Google Gaza annual revision third estimate second estimate population density journalists San Francisco Muni Texas data advance estimate historical data Volcker Krugman subject matter knowledge Benko Ferguson BEA car loans affordable car act MediCal Medicaid municipal bankruptcy Crimea Russia custody account Stockton San Bernardino puerto rico debt Detroit Harrisburg commodity prices food prices Ricoh Staples New York Times stupid online order system Intuit best of the web tax refund TurboTax illegal immigration self-deportation Freddy Mac Fannie Mae Mel Watt housing bubble Ackman archaic regulations slow growth negative interest rate 2014:1 charity buzz looktothestars FDIC government waste stupid policy third-party payments first amendment celebrity lunch suppression second amendment SF Muni hybrid The Interview exchange rate economic policy cronyism subprime rv loans intellectual property life challenge of michigan tastes of life IP investment art currency rain tax Maryland elasticity satire McArdle J.S.G. Boggs employment parent participation pricing confusion Lee Rubio tax policy default risk premium John Taylor inversion BAAQMD Bay Area Air Quality Management District air pollution my first client heroine credit rating cell phone TPPP kelsey harness daily signal spam reserves debt ownership Lerner Index market power post hoc suicide luxury tax yacht tax dmv hidden tax baseball Jeter auto computer snack tax corporate income tax spelling is hard Valparaiso zero emissions Hawaii native Hawaiian AmeriCorps politics Hawaiian independence Yankees marginal revenue product bank regulation hospitality incentive banking foreign exchange monopoly monopoly pricing Hungary information Fed cults productivity wage Douthat Mulligan Yellen euro breakup innovation underground economy black market cbs news jim messina chapter 9 bankruptcy political cartoons presidential campaign detroit michigan robert whaples professional sports facilities college enrollment part time job full time work george akerlof john reilly carbon tax asymmetric information adverse selection lisa benson victorville daily press moral hazard andrew zimbalist dennis coates jpmorgan overdrafts overdraft fee bank of america checking account checks BCS Bullis Charter School LASD overdraft fees second chance checking accounts Noll humphreys red wings Siegfried publicly financed stadiums reallocation selling securities intragovernmental holdings david kestenbaum henry jacoby higher education system Cyprus russians suckers baccalaureate degree public higher education tuition bill virtual laboratory onerous requirement haircut deposit balances roof gardens supply side economics baby boom birth rate cabaret tax russian mafia cyprus banks taxes university buildings university education reinhardt bond market federal debt rogoff liquidity crisis lender of last resort crunch bank of china pboc 30 year treasuries u s treasury bonds forum program kai ryssdal david blanchflower gura embarrassment cps employment data incomes michelle obama negative externalities BPPE mistake health insurers single payer Dev Bootcamp Shereef Bishay Zanny Minton Beddoes full time Bishay health insurance companies private health insurance Denise Cote antitrust AMAC Cote Michael Bromwich health insurance industry bully Bromwich health care Orwell price rationing price control Bitcoin Bloomberg View shortage surplus Venezuela excess demand excess supply Bloomberg Sperling stock buyback stock split newspeak Tim Cook ivory Sebelius bad research war on drugs Association of Mature American Citizens aarp mary jo white plea bargain government bureaucrats misdemeanor conviction money income saving dollar wealth economic activity bureaucrats market imperfection food trucks economic profits school cafeteria entrepreneurial opportunity economic analysis school lunches externality capital gains interest michael reich evsey domar mandates economics research magical thinking american association of retired persons federal government program capitalist system single point executive branch global competition dissaving rent john crudele new york post economic data falsification survey work denison technological growth bad management economic woes scott adams stimulus bond yields term yields smart employees john c dvorak inventions monopolies copyright law inventor patents fomc southeast asian countries fbi ipods john maynard keynes shoot from the hip where are the jobs tax increases crackdown equity research insider trading susan pulliam legitimate research macintosh computer apple computer technology impacts economic efficiency david romer james poterba stanford university robert j gordon northwestern university business cycles cambridge massachusetts economic fluctuations nber research associate 1 million harvard univerity martin feldstein jeffrey frankel joe gagnon institute for international economics mr bush birthing centers medical practices administrative services cost of health care expansion bill electronic health records monetary affairs federal reserve board apy free exchange patient communication systems small businesses Foxconn visa inc federal reserve bank of chicago federal reserve bank financial literacy global credit credit markets government budget deficits national literacy summit treasurydirect gov http://gonzoecon.com/wp-ad u s treasury department debt government indebtedness medicare reform proposal corwin food and drug administration chris dodd barry bonds favorable treatment countrywide financial new york times columnist performance enhancing drugs plurality tea party pundit senator chris dodd mortgage interest rates budget trillion national public radio Civilian Aeronautics Board grade inflation attendance rates lubbers class attendance CAB airlines Foxcon suicide Foxcon China suicide Alfred Kahn deregulation college faculty going to college walmart obscene profits exxon mobil lucifer exxon evil corporations federal government spending wikipedia higher education optimal currency area scientific method TheTruth Wears Off trusts charities subprime market financial models econometric model financial crisis president roosevelt sound economic policy david brooks subprime mortgages census bureau press policy prescriptions domestic spending seasonal variation financial market meltdown economic advisers labor markets government takeover loan applications census workers job creation gary stern minneapolis fed student loan program political favoritism iphone four more years mobile version blackberry Android cuba military court bank of india foreign nationals remittances money transfers bernard madoff wall street paypal india money state of the economy banking crisis indian regulators personal payments reserve bank of india stock market losses ancient mayans smith barney 1098 forms Merrill Lynch Roth IRA ksm interest free loan champion martha stewart stewart sentencing five months 100 million fraud biggest banks ron feldman debt instruments government issues fiscal stimulus mr cameron david cameron stimulus package credit card balance budget surpluses toyota vehicle sudden acceleration crash data nhtsa driver error transfer payments fiscal policy hedge funds limited partnership financial institutions financial instruments hedge fund pension fund managers confidence bernanke economic forecasters government policies wages mandate national highway traffic safety administration acceleration problems trades market crash limit order djia employment prospects wsj durable goods business inventories tbtf monetary instruments economies of scale w wilson private domestic investment bls web economic events international airline european competitors unintended consequences subsidies toyota motor corp european governments european airlines layoffs separations optimism emirates airlines airbus a380s members of congress international finance community organizer Jim Yong Kim capital gains tax budget proposal dividend income tax expenditures World Bank venture capital energy program sec regulations startups businessweek ee times health care benefits taxing capital TLA growth FLA three letter acronym nobel prize in economics four letter acronym muni municipal bond interest mortgage interest tax preferences charitable contributions interest payments local taxes vc firms cleantech capital goods cepr rear view camera rear view mirror benefit cost ratio mini vans durable goods orders green bad analysis Boockvar david owen eggs hens benefit cost analysis station wagon small business innovation research defense authorization act national defense authorization act government grants accredited investors customer accounts customer funds Galbraith department of transportation joe nocera european currencies federal prosecutors nominal interest rates Zuckerberg algebra is hard Hacker andrew hacker taxpayer money science math numerical skills Draghi Mars offshore bank tax havens james henry martian Martian banks queens college color laser printer endogenous growth theory unemployment benefits robert solow factor productivity paul romer social infrastructure security features counterfeit security thread abe lincoln counterfeiters color copier ben franklin math is hard Costco St. Louis Fed Business Cycles Committee Kathleen Hays economic stimulus Anna Schwartz unconventional NBER calubtun grexit criminal ERM Stewart Ponzi LFPR debt to gdp ratio discrimination lawsuit mortgage originations mortgage finance banking history mortgage brokers housing crisis bank lending CT scanner medical device tax PET scanner medical device makers medical device manufacturer AAPL brandeis university Argentina inflationary pressures Official inflation rate seasonal holiday labor force participation civilian labor force regulatory uncertainty u s government bonds northern euro Supersad True Love Story southern euro quadratic formula corporate bond yields government jobs unemployed workers optimum currency areas cocoa euro exchange rate eurozone countries adjustment mechanism deutschemark chocolate holidays debt crisis new businesses chocolate consumption cocoa prices chocolate lovers euro countries allan h meltzer copom depreciation debt plan roger vadim patricia bosworth hurricane irene brazilian real devaluation professional athletes employment unemployment monetary policy committee interest parity brazil government houghton mifflin barbarella payroll tax reduction unemployment insurance benefits transportation projects national labor relations board free trade agreement ken rogoff california state government hanoi jane fonda california public employees retirement system public employees retirement system CalPERS market reforms gary shteyngart santa clara valley transportation authority federal government regulation valley transportation authority bus rapid transit brt bus lanes tax preparation alternative minimum tax cengage information goods california state taxes middle class taxpayers tax simplification mountain view palo alto delinquency rate wtop office of the president leading economic indicators population estimates segraves compliance rate santa clara sunnyvale san jose tim geithner executive office of the president principles of economics vta california government stupid green standards high school diploma Constitution cellulosic ethanol ethanol california gasoline new host statistical tools french champagne information economics leading indicator per capita income disposable income government mandate EEOC real yield curve TIPS nominal yield curve expectation inflation curve apple store yield curves aplia Greece crisis ethanol production biofuel ethanol technology federal government debt jonathan bush karl rove exchange rate risk mainstream media new yorker u s treasury department of justice athenahealth debt ceiling personal income excess reserves graduation rate treasury notes Mundell complexity Dave Barry fedex Euro crisis wells fargo government los altos ups dean baker mortgage backed securities fomc meeting inflation protected securities treasury inflation protected securities discouraged workers employment report IRS U.S. economy inflation target bad spelling tax returns olivier blanchard international monetary fund central banks inflation rate bailout citibank Stanford mf global economics financial meltdown 1099 forms Great Recession macroeconomic policy retail sales money supply new jobs government spending sophisticated investors treasury bills financial markets bls gov economy collateralized debt obligations downward revision economists health care bill unemployment numbers great depression bank reserves economic principles empirical studies minimum wage hike European Central Bank princeton city of detroit economist bonds interest rates ken gardner national debt Treasury canada usps u s postal service municipal bond Germany California subprime auto loans environment operation choke point eric holder uncovered interest parity subprime education regulation affordable care act The Economist Taranto default Puerto Rico debt obligations informal sector economic growth political science banks Netflix Reed Hastings statistics pollster banking system congress municipal bonds dividends facebook ipo ipo optimum currency area dexit government regulations unemployment national income accounting statisticians john boehner stock market Dodd-Frank Social Security charter schools food stamps teachers unions free lunch california state university east bay population survey milton friedman kqed paul krugman government bonds david burge treasury department innumeracy amazon household survey treasury securities alan krueger paul ryan securities and exchange commission consumer spending purchasing power nominal interest rate bls Madoff government budget deficit ben bernanke inflation expectations bush tax cuts yield curve government data humor common core public debt SEC healthcare math mitt romney choke point tax federal reserve bank of st louis fred database seasonal adjustment PACA jon corzine Greece algebra fail iowahawk marketplace california state university default risk recession real interest rate census bureau obama Apple real gdp stupid jobs facebook inflation ecb ObamaCare bureau of economic analysis government debt eurozone bureau of labor statistics monetary policy gross domestic product federal reserve labor force participation rate npr ACA euro gdp wall street journal minimum wage unemployment rate new york times featured