Posts Tagged purchasing power
Frankly, these statements are incredibly stupid. Inflation means prices and incomes are rising at about the same rate. Any increase in salaries will just keep pace with inflation, leaving the consumer with unchanged purchasing power. The only way people who borrow can pay back with cheaper dollars is if the inflation is a complete surprise. If the inflation is expected, it will be part of the interest rate on the loan. Finally, higher housing prices? Give me a break. Even if housing prices rose, the real net wealth in your house wouldn’t change much because the higher price level would eat up the price increase.
Introduction Economists take it for granted that everyone knows the definition of the real interest rate: r = i – p where i is the nominal interest rate and p is the inflation rate. The real interest rate measures the net transfer of purchasing power from borrowers to lenders. Lenders will be repaid i dollars […]
Blanchard’s argument is that by raising the inflation target, nominal interest rates would be higher. This, he proposes, would give central banks more room to reduce interest rates to stimulate the economy. Unfortunately, Prof. Blanchard has made an error that should make him blush.
central banks, inflation rate, inflation target, international monetary fund, macroeconomic policy, nominal interest rate, olivier blanchard, policy prescriptions, purchasing power, real interest rate
The Newsletter SignupThe e-mail newsletter signup is temporarily disabled. If you're interested, please e-mail me directly.
- The Best Take on Greece July 5, 2015This is the best take on Greece that I have seen. Warning: NSFW (language).TonyLima
- Puerto Rico Update July 2, 2015Today Megan McArdle pointed me to a piece on Puerto Rico by Matt Levine. I won't even try to sommarize it. Instead, just click here.TonyLima
- Advent of the Southern Euro June 30, 2015I don’t think ECB will force Greece out of euro; I think it will have to devalue if it wants to reopen its banks ever.TonyLima
- Happy to be Wrong About TPA June 29, 2015Like every economist worthy of the name I favor free trade. But I also predicted that TPA would never make it to the Oval Office. I was wrong, but in this case I'm happy to be wrong about TPA. Mea culpa.TonyLima
- The Best Take on Greece July 5, 2015
- “@redsteeze: Communist dictatorship hates US Presidential candidate. NY Times thinks this makes him look bad http://t.co/FaMQ9NZD5j”, 9 hours ago
- MT “@BreakingNews Carli Lloyd has 1st hat trick in Women's World Cup final history in 1st 15 minutes @SportsCenter https://t.co/MKMqO8OqyY”, 24 hours ago
- “@GRAAmerica: Because Texas Buy a Truck at Benny Boyd in Andrews and Get an AR-15 http://t.co/6cNP62cL4f”, Jul 6
- RT @KSoltisAnderson: Sad that Greece is about to live out Thatcher's warning: "the trouble with socialism is you eventually run out of other people's money.", Jul 5
- MT Steve is John’s cat. “@20committee: Even Steve knew giving Greeks billions of Euros would end badly. His brain is the size of a walnut.”, Jul 5
- demand curve tax incentive incentives economic crisis economic database widget environmentalists sovereign nation canadian tar sands heating oil wood fires capitol hill treasury secretary jack lew seasonality synagogue public health risk greek environment wood burning stoves demand curves keystone Keystone XL justice system o brien criminal prosecution mark of shame arne duncan state board of education financial institutions reform recovery and enforcement act math education seventh grade treasuries tyler durden cme data first class postage paper checks social security checks treasury futures treasury security options trading security prices futures options jobless claims entrails Wesienthal economic recovery credit card payment dollar coin Joe Weisenthal kafka the trial zoning district takings clause roger kimball debt limit simple accounting republicans house of representatives christie house speaker media scum lazy media u s mint national debt ceiling Jake Tapper council for higher education accreditation san jose mercury news government revenue debt clock state and local governments legal obligations unemployment benefit bls data seasonal patterns seasonal factors blumer promissory notes debt payments accredited universities pell grants federal student aid u s department of education congressional budget office loan default huelskamp debt contract justice department lawsuit rmbs american council on education universities in california colleges and universities in california california state legislature public colleges excel plugin stork club eric felten dow jones introductory college courses low information voter justice department shakedown partners in crime prescription drugs ira flatow vaccines and autism science friday flu vaccine andrew wakefield bureau of internal revenue baby boom baccalaureate degree higher education system Cyprus russians public higher education onerous requirement university buildings tuition bill virtual laboratory suckers haircut birth rate roof gardens supply side economics cabaret tax taxes deposit balances russian mafia cyprus banks us postal service ups and fedex william wascher income distribution survey article formal sector david macpherson david neumark trinity university youth unemployment national bureau of economic research minimum wage increases truck rental government credit downgrade freedom of speech cdos subprime mortgage texas governor rick perry governor rick perry governor perry california businesses governor brown minority youth jobless rate allscripts electronic medical records cerner corp goodyear health care industry legacy systems epic patient information arra french government tire manufacturer amiens france miami university black teens titan international supply shock maurice taylor french industry french workers harry reid barack obama common market european economic community history of the european union european monetary union statistical fluke gdp growth harrisburg pennsylvania bond girl margin of error european economic union nobel peace prize energy crises tanstaafl robert heinlein campbell mcconnell oil markets oil energy nobel prize committee excel workbook employment statistics incinerator foundations of economic analysis bad teachers reading comprehension unholy trinity democratic politicians csu system democratic agenda university california union dues teacher credentialing voucher programs tenure decisions rent control finding apartments value of education san francisco landslide math capabilities california faculty association polls barry commoner economist milton friedman media innumeracy polling errorNBC price increases excise tax media goofs mainstream media idiots TANF welfare welfare work marginal costs mri machines marginal cost curve center on budget and policy priorities health insurance premiums twitter van de water pet scanners supply curve health expenditures ct scanners PRWORA education job search California budget waste of tax dollars CSUEB Romney Morishita council of economic advisers moon is a harsh mistress Commoner Freidman Marie Myung-Ok Lee obesity mental health treatment substance abuse treatment rehabilitation activities family assistance rehabilitation programs Social Security fail training education needy families central limit theorem brooke gladstone supply and demand milk prices cnbc futures traders Carney president lyndon johnson war on poverty tax surcharge george santayana agricultural bill john carney tax cuts plan b sequestration snap program mayans limerick light trucks fiscal policy analysis Dr. Goose war in vietnam lyndon johnson flipping intellectual property rights korbel multilateral agreement instruction educrat peter king math instruction education bureaucracy geographical indications sparkling wine temporary tax change permanent income model economic history champagne region of france world trade organization wto intellectual property issues sparkling wines world trade organization market futures national defense authorization jeffrey brown national education association pbs news hour punctuation newshour teachers union gasoline market Dennis Van Roekel pbs egregious error domestic transactions response rate random sample political polling meta analysis public radio international political economist ecological economics university of vermont eric zencey retail gasoline price of gasoline supplemental nutrition assistance program department of agriculture supplemental nutrition nutrition assistance chairman arthur levitt arthur levitt house republican caucus securities and exchange aol consumer price index career success fixed cost consumer search british petroleum gas prices bp consumers commerce department consumer confidence university education david blanchflower Hawaiian independence native Hawaiian Hawaii spelling is hard politics AmeriCorps yacht tax snack tax corporate income tax Valparaiso zero emissions journalists population density Gaza annual revision data Texas hybrid SF Muni San Francisco Muni luxury tax suicide innovation Mulligan Douthat cults euro breakup Yellen incentive information Fed productivity wage hidden tax dmv post hoc auto computer Jeter marginal revenue product Yankees baseball third estimate second estimate backward looking forward looking shock estimates investment first quarter beef price price discrimination demand elasticity MediCal Medicaid Mel Watt housing bubble charity buzz looktothestars Fannie Mae Freddy Mac negative interest rate 2014:1 Ackman export poverty Ferguson Benko Volcker subject matter knowledge affordable car act car loans advance estimate historical data BEA Google Davidow Sabia Burkhauser Neumark Lundstrom earned income tax credit value added NIPA Atlantic hospitality bank regulation bad credit credit TISA TPP stolen ssn ricardo friedman schwartz crypto-currency imf zirp tariff BAAQMD Bay Area Air Quality Management District air pollution light truck Subaru union Los Angeles investment collapse ten dollar bill OPM euro-drachma mea culpa TAA marriage tax penalty Megan McArdle Kristi Culpepper sovereign debt debt bankruptcy same-sex marriage Obergefell Eshoo Goldberg Schindler FCC Title II value of human life gary richards Mr Roadshow inversion John Taylor J.S.G. Boggs employment parent participation McArdle art cronyism The Interview exchange rate economic policy satire rain tax monopoly pricing Hungary foreign exchange banking monopoly market power Maryland elasticity Lerner Index subprime rv loans intellectual property heroine spam reserves debt ownership my first client default risk premium Lee Rubio tax policy daily signal kelsey harness life challenge of michigan tastes of life IP investment pricing confusion credit rating cell phone TPPP celebrity lunch suppression LASD checks checking account jpmorgan Bullis Charter School BCS economic profits negative externalities michelle obama overdrafts overdraft fee intragovernmental holdings publicly financed stadiums Siegfried Noll selling securities reallocation bank of america overdraft fees second chance checking accounts food trucks market imperfection dollar wealth income money saving capital gains dissaving rent interest mary jo white plea bargain externality entrepreneurial opportunity school cafeteria school lunches bureaucrats government bureaucrats misdemeanor conviction economic activity humphreys red wings lender of last resort liquidity crisis reinhardt bond market pboc bank of china david kestenbaum henry jacoby crunch federal debt rogoff embarrassment gura forum program kai ryssdal incomes employment data 30 year treasuries u s treasury bonds cps carbon tax john reilly detroit michigan presidential campaign cbs news jim messina college enrollment professional sports facilities dennis coates andrew zimbalist robert whaples chapter 9 bankruptcy political cartoons adverse selection asymmetric information george akerlof moral hazard victorville daily press part time job full time work lisa benson global competition john crudele New York Times stupid underground economy black market Venezuela Staples Ricoh TurboTax Intuit online order system excess demand excess supply Bloomberg Sperling Sebelius bad research Bloomberg View price control surplus shortage price rationing tax refund best of the web stupid policy self-deportation illegal immigration puerto rico debt government waste FDIC second amendment first amendment third-party payments Detroit Harrisburg custody account commodity prices food prices Russia Crimea San Bernardino Stockton municipal bankruptcy war on drugs ivory aarp american association of retired persons federal government program capitalist system Association of Mature American Citizens AMAC Cote Denise Cote antitrust magical thinking economics research economic data falsification survey work new york post executive branch single point michael reich evsey domar mandates Michael Bromwich Bromwich health care Zanny Minton Beddoes full time Bishay Orwell newspeak Tim Cook stock buyback stock split Shereef Bishay Dev Bootcamp private health insurance health insurance industry bully health insurance companies single payer BPPE mistake health insurers tweets polling firms term yields stimulus bond yields fomc susan pulliam southeast asian countries scott adams bad management patents inventor john c dvorak smart employees economic woes insider trading legitimate research tax increases shoot from the hip where are the jobs small businesses Foxcon Foxconn john maynard keynes fbi apple computer macintosh computer equity research crackdown ipods copyright law inventions robert j gordon stanford university business cycles northwestern university federal reserve board joe gagnon david romer james poterba martin feldstein harvard univerity jeffrey frankel economic fluctuations cambridge massachusetts monetary affairs international finance administrative services medical practices cost of health care economic efficiency monopolies technology impacts mr bush birthing centers free exchange apy patient communication systems electronic health records expansion bill Foxcon suicide China suicide global credit credit markets medicare reform proposal corwin plurality tea party financial literacy federal reserve bank national literacy summit indebtedness government budget deficits federal reserve bank of chicago visa inc pundit senator chris dodd members of congress countrywide financial taxpayer money professional athletes interest parity monetary policy committee favorable treatment barry bonds performance enhancing drugs mortgage interest rates new york times columnist chris dodd food and drug administration debt government u s treasury department class attendance attendance rates lubbers college faculty higher education going to college grade inflation national public radio deregulation Alfred Kahn airlines CAB Civilian Aeronautics Board wikipedia scientific method trillion exxon budget http://gonzoecon.com/wp-ad treasurydirect gov lucifer exxon mobil federal government spending TheTruth Wears Off evil corporations obscene profits walmart nber research associate 1 million econometric model subprime market financial crisis sound economic policy economic advisers president roosevelt financial models david brooks domestic spending census bureau press seasonal variation financial market meltdown subprime mortgages labor markets four more years census workers government takeover job creation minneapolis fed biggest banks gary stern loan applications student loan program mobile version iphone blackberry Android political favoritism policy prescriptions cuba bank of india foreign nationals remittances money transfers bernard madoff wall street paypal india money state of the economy banking crisis indian regulators personal payments reserve bank of india stock market losses ancient mayans smith barney 1098 forms Merrill Lynch Roth IRA military court ksm interest free loan champion martha stewart stewart sentencing five months 100 million fraud ron feldman monetary instruments fiscal stimulus debt instruments mr cameron stimulus package transfer payments david cameron government issues credit card balance crash data toyota vehicle nhtsa driver error budget surpluses fiscal policy economic forecasters financial institutions hedge funds financial instruments hedge fund trusts charities limited partnership pension fund managers government policies bernanke wages mandate confidence sudden acceleration national highway traffic safety administration limit order trades djia wsj bls web employment prospects market crash durable goods economies of scale tbtf w wilson private domestic investment business inventories economic events separations unintended consequences international airline subsidies toyota motor corp acceleration problems european competitors european governments optimism layoffs emirates airlines airbus a380s european airlines brazil government institute for international economics municipal bond interest local taxes muni growth FLA TLA interest payments charitable contributions health care benefits dividend income taxing capital tax preferences mortgage interest three letter acronym four letter acronym calubtun Ponzi NBER Business Cycles Committee Kathleen Hays St. Louis Fed Stewart ERM nominal interest rates nobel prize in economics Zuckerberg criminal grexit tax expenditures budget proposal federal prosecutors european currencies customer funds customer accounts small business innovation research defense authorization act joe nocera Galbraith benefit cost ratio mini vans benefit cost analysis station wagon department of transportation national defense authorization act government grants venture capital ee times World Bank Jim Yong Kim capital gains tax community organizer businessweek startups cleantech accredited investors vc firms sec regulations energy program economic stimulus unconventional counterfeit ben franklin security features unemployment benefits robert solow endogenous growth theory color copier counterfeiters queens college science math color laser printer abe lincoln security thread factor productivity social infrastructure Airplay streaming video Mountain Lion home theater system imdb internet movie database Charles Jones Robert Hall technological growth devaluation denison max weber rule of law numerical skills brandeis university bank lending medical device manufacturer housing crisis mortgage originations mortgage finance discrimination lawsuit medical device makers PET scanner LFPR Anna Schwartz debt to gdp ratio medical device tax CT scanner banking history mortgage brokers Draghi Mars Hacker algebra is hard andrew hacker Martian banks martian math is hard Costco tax havens offshore bank james henry rear view mirror paul romer chocolate consumption debt crisis cocoa prices chocolate lovers chocolate holidays new businesses unemployed workers seasonal holiday Official inflation rate civilian labor force labor force participation government jobs cocoa optimum currency areas leading indicator statistical tools disposable income per capita income california gasoline new host french champagne leading economic indicators eurozone countries euro exchange rate deutschemark adjustment mechanism market reforms inflationary pressures regulatory uncertainty houghton mifflin patricia bosworth barbarella jane fonda california public employees retirement system hanoi hurricane irene roger vadim brazilian real rear view camera depreciation copom debt plan public employees retirement system CalPERS euro countries allan h meltzer Supersad True Love Story northern euro u s government bonds corporate bond yields gary shteyngart national labor relations board ken rogoff california state government unemployment insurance benefits payroll tax reduction transportation projects green standards quadratic formula tim geithner san jose executive office of the president compliance rate wtop segraves santa clara sunnyvale bus lanes bus rapid transit vta brt palo alto delinquency rate population estimates durable goods orders green cepr california government stupid capital goods hens eggs AAPL employment unemployment Boockvar bad analysis david owen valley transportation authority office of the president ethanol production biofuel ethanol technology yield curves real yield curve TIPS government mandate cellulosic ethanol high school diploma EEOC santa clara valley transportation authority Constitution ethanol nominal yield curve Greece crisis middle class taxpayers california state taxes tax simplification alternative minimum tax tax preparation expectation inflation curve information goods cengage apple store principles of economics information economics aplia federal government regulation southern euro karl rove mainstream media debt ceiling u s treasury free trade agreement exchange rate risk graduation rate IRS department of justice treasury notes personal income optimal currency area new yorker Mundell federal government debt los altos complexity Euro crisis Dave Barry mountain view government mf global athenahealth fedex ups treasury inflation protected securities inflation protected securities mortgage backed securities Argentina employment report dean baker discouraged workers fomc meeting 1099 forms olivier blanchard inflation target bad spelling international monetary fund inflation rate macroeconomic policy central banks tax returns bailout economics Stanford eric holder financial meltdown U.S. economy citibank Great Recession retail sales downward revision sophisticated investors government spending money supply financial markets treasury bills wells fargo bank reserves new jobs bls gov economists collateralized debt obligations health care bill great depression economy unemployment numbers jonathan bush population survey economic analysis municipal bond economist Germany affordable care act Bitcoin The Economist princeton European Central Bank u s postal service canada usps informal sector empirical studies minimum wage hike Taranto default uncovered interest parity currency operation choke point TPA hack dividends free trade environment California slow growth archaic regulations education Krugman subprime auto loans subprime Treasury city of detroit Reed Hastings Netflix economic growth pollster statistics Social Security government regulations political science banks ipo facebook ipo municipal bonds dexit optimum currency area ken gardner unemployment california state university east bay banking system stock market john boehner food stamps congress debt obligations national debt free lunch national income accounting Dodd-Frank statisticians economic principles milton friedman teachers unions kqed charter schools treasury securities paul krugman treasury department david burge government bonds paul ryan household survey excess reserves alan krueger amazon innumeracy securities and exchange commission consumer spending purchasing power nominal interest rate bls Madoff government budget deficit ben bernanke inflation expectations bush tax cuts yield curve regulation healthcare common core public debt fred database government data math mitt romney choke point Puerto Rico SEC bonds algebra federal reserve bank of st louis PACA jon corzine iowahawk fail california state university seasonal adjustment marketplace default risk real gdp recession census bureau Apple real interest rate obama facebook stupid humor tax interest rates jobs Greece ecb ObamaCare bureau of economic analysis inflation bureau of labor statistics government debt eurozone gross domestic product federal reserve labor force participation rate npr ACA monetary policy wall street journal gdp minimum wage unemployment rate euro new york times featured