Posts Tagged purchasing power
Frankly, these statements are incredibly stupid. Inflation means prices and incomes are rising at about the same rate. Any increase in salaries will just keep pace with inflation, leaving the consumer with unchanged purchasing power. The only way people who borrow can pay back with cheaper dollars is if the inflation is a complete surprise. If the inflation is expected, it will be part of the interest rate on the loan. Finally, higher housing prices? Give me a break. Even if housing prices rose, the real net wealth in your house wouldn’t change much because the higher price level would eat up the price increase.
Introduction Economists take it for granted that everyone knows the definition of the real interest rate: r = i – p where i is the nominal interest rate and p is the inflation rate. The real interest rate measures the net transfer of purchasing power from borrowers to lenders. Lenders will be repaid i dollars […]
Blanchard’s argument is that by raising the inflation target, nominal interest rates would be higher. This, he proposes, would give central banks more room to reduce interest rates to stimulate the economy. Unfortunately, Prof. Blanchard has made an error that should make him blush.
central banks, inflation rate, inflation target, international monetary fund, macroeconomic policy, nominal interest rate, olivier blanchard, policy prescriptions, purchasing power, real interest rate
The Newsletter SignupThe e-mail newsletter signup is temporarily disabled. If you're interested, please e-mail me directly.
- Yellen Decries Wealth Inequality, Fails to Mention Fed’s Role October 22, 2014It happens that the Fed critics are exactly right. While interest rates on debt held by those in the bottom 80% may be slightly cheaper, much of that debt is probably credit cards. Those interest rates are still way, way above 1%.TonyLima
- DExit Revisited October 13, 2014A rising political party in Germany strongly favors leaving the eurozone.TonyLima
- A Dearth of Cults? September 28, 2014Mr. Douthat is mistaken. There are plenty of cults in the U.S. As Mr. Thiel suggests, they are found in many startups and other small companies.TonyLima
- Derek Jeter September 26, 2014If anything, Mr. Jeter earned less than his marginal revenue product over the entire 162 game season.TonyLima
- Yellen Decries Wealth Inequality, Fails to Mention Fed’s Role October 22, 2014
- MT “@vplus: US military believes N Korea has capability to mount nuclear warhead on intermediate or long-range missile-CNN” @TheWarRoom_Tom, 3 hours ago
- Populism or socialism? https://t.co/brQgNB9mAR, 3 hours ago
- RT @lizzie363: If one wants to trade Canadian passport for Libyan, should be permitted & they get 1 way ticket to Libya.Only a true genius does that trade., 3 hours ago
- RT @lizzie363: Thank Hermes for that!!!! RT @ElenaCherney: Canada privacy law hampered intelligence sharing with U.S. http://t.co/2YXm68PDEw via @WSJ, 3 hours ago
- A vibrator, though, was a first. http://t.co/qosXSI3Buz, 3 hours ago
- Wesienthal economic recovery credit card payment dollar coin Joe Weisenthal kafka the trial zoning district takings clause roger kimball debt limit simple accounting republicans house of representatives christie media scum lazy media u s mint national debt ceiling Jake Tapper council for higher education accreditation san jose mercury news debt clock state and local governments legal obligations government revenue unemployment benefit seasonal factors blumer bls data promissory notes debt payments accredited universities pell grants federal student aid u s department of education congressional budget office loan default huelskamp debt contract house speaker harry reid president lyndon johnson Carney supply and demand george santayana tax surcharge lyndon johnson war in vietnam war on poverty milk prices cnbc Dr. Goose limerick mayans fiscal policy analysis light trucks futures traders agricultural bill john carney economic history permanent income model instruction flipping intellectual property rights educrat education bureaucracy barack obama peter king math instruction korbel multilateral agreement world trade organization wto champagne region of france temporary tax change world trade organization sparkling wines geographical indications sparkling wine intellectual property issues seasonal patterns entrails california businesses governor brown governor rick perry governor perry truck rental survey article formal sector minimum wage increases texas governor rick perry government credit downgrade financial institutions reform recovery and enforcement act math education seventh grade justice department lawsuit rmbs freedom of speech cdos subprime mortgage income distribution william wascher french workers supply shock titan international french industry maurice taylor goodyear french government tire manufacturer amiens france miami university national bureau of economic research david neumark david macpherson youth unemployment trinity university black teens jobless rate minority youth state board of education arne duncan economic crisis heating oil wood fires incentives tax incentive widget economic database demand curve greek environment wood burning stoves jack lew seasonality jobless claims treasury secretary capitol hill demand curves public health risk synagogue canadian tar sands sovereign nation tyler durden options trading security prices treasuries mark of shame justice system o brien criminal prosecution futures options treasury security Keystone XL keystone environmentalists social security checks paper checks treasury futures cme data first class postage tax cuts plan b rehabilitation programs family assistance mental health treatment needy families training education Marie Myung-Ok Lee obesity Social Security fail substance abuse treatment rehabilitation activities mainstream media idiots media goofs media innumeracy welfare work welfare education job search PRWORA TANF Romney CSUEB energy crises tanstaafl robert heinlein oil markets oil energy nobel prize committee excel workbook employment statistics campbell mcconnell barry commoner Morishita California budget waste of tax dollars council of economic advisers Freidman economist milton friedman moon is a harsh mistress Commoner polling errorNBC price increases denison technological growth paul romer max weber economic growth Charles Jones Robert Hall rule of law social infrastructure factor productivity ben franklin color copier counterfeiters counterfeit security features robert solow endogenous growth theory unemployment benefits streaming video Airplay ct scanners pet scanners van de water health expenditures supply curve excise tax marginal costs mri machines marginal cost curve center on budget and policy priorities internet movie database home theater system Mountain Lion imdb polling firms health insurance premiums twitter tweets nobel peace prize european economic union gasoline market Dennis Van Roekel pbs retail gasoline price of gasoline fixed cost consumer search british petroleum teachers union newshour domestic transactions ecological economics university of vermont egregious error punctuation jeffrey brown national education association pbs news hour gas prices bp securities and exchange aol arthur levitt house republican caucus national defense authorization sequestration snap program market futures chairman arthur levitt supplemental nutrition assistance program consumers commerce department consumer confidence career success consumer price index department of agriculture supplemental nutrition nutrition assistance eric zencey political economist finding apartments value of education foundations of economic analysis rent control san francisco california faculty association polls landslide incinerator harrisburg pennsylvania european economic community history of the european union european monetary union common market statistical fluke bond girl margin of error gdp growth math capabilities tenure decisions brooke gladstone central limit theorem university california meta analysis political polling public radio international response rate random sample union dues teacher credentialing unholy trinity democratic politicians voucher programs reading comprehension bad teachers democratic agenda charter schools csu system cerner corp electronic medical records Crimea Russia custody account municipal bankruptcy Stockton Detroit Harrisburg San Bernardino commodity prices food prices online order system Ricoh Staples Intuit TurboTax best of the web Taranto tax refund puerto rico debt illegal immigration Mel Watt housing bubble charity buzz Fannie Mae Freddy Mac 2014:1 archaic regulations Ackman looktothestars celebrity lunch government waste stupid policy self-deportation FDIC third-party payments suppression second amendment first amendment New York Times stupid underground economy Bishay Shereef Bishay regulation full time The Economist Orwell health care Zanny Minton Beddoes Dev Bootcamp BPPE health insurance industry bully Bromwich private health insurance health insurance companies mistake health insurers single payer newspeak stock split shortage price rationing price control surplus excess supply black market Venezuela excess demand Bitcoin Bloomberg View ivory Tim Cook stock buyback war on drugs bad research Bloomberg Sperling Sebelius negative interest rate slow growth native Hawaiian Hawaii spelling is hard Hawaiian independence politics snack tax corporate income tax AmeriCorps Valparaiso environment data journalists population density Texas San Francisco Muni zero emissions hybrid SF Muni yacht tax luxury tax Douthat cults productivity Mulligan innovation Fed Yellen euro breakup wage marginal revenue product dmv post hoc suicide hidden tax auto computer Yankees baseball Jeter Gaza annual revision poverty export beef price Neumark Burkhauser earned income tax credit Lundstrom Sabia price discrimination demand elasticity estimates MediCal Medicaid shock forward looking first quarter investment backward looking Atlantic NIPA car loans affordable car act subprime auto loans BEA historical data third estimate second estimate advance estimate subprime Ferguson Google Davidow value added education subject matter knowledge Benko Volcker Krugman Michael Bromwich Cote forum program kai ryssdal david blanchflower gura embarrassment cps employment data incomes university education university buildings higher education system Cyprus russians baccalaureate degree public higher education tuition bill virtual laboratory onerous requirement u s treasury bonds 30 year treasuries john reilly carbon tax david kestenbaum george akerlof asymmetric information victorville daily press moral hazard adverse selection henry jacoby crunch bond market federal debt rogoff reinhardt liquidity crisis bank of china pboc lender of last resort suckers haircut ira flatow justice department shakedown vaccines and autism andrew wakefield low information voter science friday flu vaccine partners in crime prescription drugs legacy systems health care industry allscripts arra patient information us postal service ups and fedex epic introductory college courses california state legislature birth rate roof gardens supply side economics cabaret tax taxes deposit balances russian mafia cyprus banks baby boom bureau of internal revenue american council on education universities in california colleges and universities in california public colleges excel plugin stork club eric felten dow jones lisa benson full time work capital gains saving dollar interest rent john crudele global competition dissaving wealth income economic activity bureaucrats economic analysis misdemeanor conviction government bureaucrats money mary jo white plea bargain new york post survey work american association of retired persons federal government program capitalist system aarp Association of Mature American Citizens Denise Cote antitrust AMAC magical thinking economics research executive branch economic data falsification single point mandates michael reich evsey domar affordable care act school lunches externality red wings dennis coates andrew zimbalist humphreys Noll intragovernmental holdings publicly financed stadiums Siegfried robert whaples professional sports facilities chapter 9 bankruptcy political cartoons part time job jim messina cbs news college enrollment detroit michigan presidential campaign selling securities reallocation negative externalities michelle obama BCS economic profits food trucks entrepreneurial opportunity school cafeteria market imperfection Bullis Charter School LASD bank of america overdraft fees second chance checking accounts overdraft fee overdrafts checks checking account jpmorgan security thread abe lincoln patents inventor john c dvorak smart employees bad management economic woes copyright law inventions cost of health care administrative services economic efficiency technology impacts monopolies scott adams stimulus macintosh computer legitimate research apple computer equity research crackdown insider trading susan pulliam term yields excess reserves bond yields fomc southeast asian countries medical practices mr bush economic fluctuations jeffrey frankel cambridge massachusetts james poterba stanford university david romer martin feldstein harvard univerity charities hedge fund trusts 1 million nber research associate robert j gordon business cycles free exchange apy electronic health records expansion bill birthing centers international finance monetary affairs joe gagnon northwestern university institute for international economics federal reserve board bank reserves ipods fbi treasurydirect gov http://gonzoecon.com/wp-ad u s treasury department debt government national literacy summit indebtedness budget trillion walmart obscene profits exxon mobil lucifer exxon government budget deficits federal reserve bank of chicago plurality tea party pundit senator chris dodd mortgage interest rates corwin medicare reform proposal federal reserve bank visa inc financial literacy credit markets global credit evil corporations federal government spending China suicide Foxcon suicide Alfred Kahn deregulation airlines Foxcon Foxconn shoot from the hip john maynard keynes tax increases where are the jobs small businesses CAB Civilian Aeronautics Board wikipedia higher education optimal currency area scientific method TheTruth Wears Off going to college college faculty grade inflation national public radio attendance rates class attendance lubbers financial instruments financial institutions financial models david brooks subprime market econometric model sound economic policy financial crisis subprime mortgages financial market meltdown policy prescriptions cuba census bureau press domestic spending seasonal variation president roosevelt economic advisers loan applications student loan program government takeover census workers job creation political favoritism Android four more years labor markets iphone mobile version blackberry military court ksm bank of india foreign nationals remittances money transfers wall street paypal india money state of the economy banking crisis indian regulators personal payments reserve bank of india bernard madoff stock market losses 1098 forms interest free loan smith barney Merrill Lynch Roth IRA champion fraud stewart sentencing ancient mayans martha stewart five months 100 million minneapolis fed gary stern budget surpluses driver error credit card balance government issues fiscal stimulus debt instruments nhtsa crash data acceleration problems toyota motor corp national highway traffic safety administration sudden acceleration toyota vehicle mr cameron stimulus package confidence mandate pension fund managers limited partnership hedge funds wages government policies transfer payments david cameron fiscal policy economic forecasters bernanke subsidies unintended consequences durable goods business inventories market crash trades limit order private domestic investment w wilson ron feldman biggest banks monetary instruments tbtf economies of scale djia wsj european airlines airbus a380s european governments european competitors international airline emirates airlines optimism bls web employment prospects economic events separations layoffs performance enhancing drugs patient communication systems cleantech accredited investors vc firms sec regulations startups energy program government grants national defense authorization act customer funds federal prosecutors customer accounts defense authorization act small business innovation research businessweek ee times health care benefits dividend income taxing capital tax preferences mortgage interest tax expenditures budget proposal World Bank venture capital Jim Yong Kim community organizer capital gains tax european currencies joe nocera AAPL employment unemployment Boockvar bad analysis eggs david owen population estimates office of the president compliance rate executive office of the president segraves wtop delinquency rate hens green station wagon benefit cost analysis department of transportation Galbraith government benefit cost ratio mini vans cepr durable goods orders capital goods rear view camera rear view mirror charitable contributions interest payments banking history mortgage finance mortgage brokers Costco tax havens math is hard discrimination lawsuit mortgage originations medical device makers PET scanner medical device manufacturer new york times columnist housing crisis offshore bank james henry numerical skills brandeis university science math queens college color laser printer andrew hacker algebra is hard Martian banks martian Mars Draghi Hacker CT scanner medical device tax nobel prize in economics four letter acronym nominal interest rates Zuckerberg criminal three letter acronym FLA municipal bond interest local taxes muni growth TLA grexit ERM unconventional economic stimulus Anna Schwartz LFPR debt to gdp ratio Kathleen Hays St. Louis Fed Ponzi Stewart calubtun NBER Business Cycles Committee tim geithner bank lending Supersad True Love Story euro countries northern euro southern euro corporate bond yields quadratic formula allan h meltzer gary shteyngart payroll tax reduction unemployment insurance benefits transportation projects national labor relations board free trade agreement u s government bonds regulatory uncertainty new businesses unemployed workers debt crisis chocolate consumption cocoa prices government jobs labor force participation Argentina inflationary pressures Official inflation rate seasonal holiday civilian labor force ken rogoff CalPERS professional athletes taxpayer money exchange rate risk monetary policy committee brazil government interest parity members of congress countrywide financial chris dodd san jose food and drug administration barry bonds favorable treatment devaluation brazilian real jane fonda barbarella hanoi california public employees retirement system public employees retirement system houghton mifflin patricia bosworth copom depreciation debt plan roger vadim hurricane irene chocolate lovers california state government information goods principles of economics cengage middle class taxpayers tax simplification information economics apple store real yield curve TIPS nominal yield curve expectation inflation curve aplia alternative minimum tax tax preparation palo alto mountain view sunnyvale holidays santa clara brt vta santa clara valley transportation authority federal government regulation valley transportation authority bus rapid transit bus lanes yield curves california state taxes french champagne leading economic indicators statistical tools leading indicator per capita income disposable income market reforms adjustment mechanism cocoa chocolate euro exchange rate eurozone countries deutschemark new host optimum currency areas ethanol production biofuel Greece crisis ethanol technology california gasoline cellulosic ethanol government mandate ethanol california government stupid green standards EEOC high school diploma karl rove new yorker federal government debt u s treasury Mundell default risk athenahealth jonathan bush wells fargo mainstream media personal income department of justice treasury notes graduation rate treasury inflation protected securities ups dean baker fedex Euro crisis treasury bills Dave Barry discouraged workers bls fomc meeting IRS mortgage backed securities inflation protected securities employment report debt ceiling financial meltdown bad spelling tax returns inflation target olivier blanchard inflation rate international monetary fund bailout citibank Stanford complexity economics U.S. economy 1099 forms Great Recession central banks macroeconomic policy bls gov economy new jobs money supply sophisticated investors government spending unemployment numbers great depression downward revision retail sales collateralized debt obligations economists health care bill financial markets seasonal adjustment canada Treasury u s postal service usps bonds interest rates national debt debt obligations john boehner food stamps stock market Dodd-Frank congress informal sector minimum wage hike Puerto Rico Germany default California los altos tax municipal bond city of detroit European Central Bank empirical studies princeton economist humor national income accounting ken gardner unemployment optimum currency area fail banking system algebra banks statisticians ipo eric holder mf global dividends municipal bonds facebook ipo political science dexit population survey milton friedman economic principles kqed Netflix free lunch teachers unions pollster Reed Hastings government regulations statistics california state university east bay Social Security paul krugman yield curve david burge treasury securities innumeracy paul ryan ben bernanke government bonds treasury department Madoff consumer spending purchasing power nominal interest rate securities and exchange commission amazon bush tax cuts government budget deficit inflation expectations government data fred database SEC alan krueger public debt common core math healthcare marketplace federal reserve bank of st louis california state university mitt romney household survey jon corzine Greece facebook iowahawk PACA recession obama real interest rate census bureau real gdp ObamaCare jobs Apple stupid inflation government debt monetary policy bureau of economic analysis ecb federal reserve bureau of labor statistics eurozone labor force participation rate ACA gross domestic product npr euro gdp minimum wage wall street journal unemployment rate new york times featured