Posts Tagged purchasing power
Frankly, these statements are incredibly stupid. Inflation means prices and incomes are rising at about the same rate. Any increase in salaries will just keep pace with inflation, leaving the consumer with unchanged purchasing power. The only way people who borrow can pay back with cheaper dollars is if the inflation is a complete surprise. If the inflation is expected, it will be part of the interest rate on the loan. Finally, higher housing prices? Give me a break. Even if housing prices rose, the real net wealth in your house wouldn’t change much because the higher price level would eat up the price increase.
Introduction Economists take it for granted that everyone knows the definition of the real interest rate: r = i – p where i is the nominal interest rate and p is the inflation rate. The real interest rate measures the net transfer of purchasing power from borrowers to lenders. Lenders will be repaid i dollars […]
Blanchard’s argument is that by raising the inflation target, nominal interest rates would be higher. This, he proposes, would give central banks more room to reduce interest rates to stimulate the economy. Unfortunately, Prof. Blanchard has made an error that should make him blush.
central banks, inflation rate, inflation target, international monetary fund, macroeconomic policy, nominal interest rate, olivier blanchard, policy prescriptions, purchasing power, real interest rate
The Newsletter SignupThe e-mail newsletter signup is temporarily disabled. If you're interested, please e-mail me directly.
- Subprime Cell Phones January 23, 2015So ignore those past-due credit card bills, the foreclosure notices on your house and car, and everything else that's dragging your credit rating down. Just pay T-Mobile on time and you can get a cheap smartphone.TonyLima
- A Labor Force Participation Rate Update January 11, 2015I wish I could say there is good news in this report. But the best I can offer is that some trends seem to have leveled off. At this point, however, it's safe to say the U.S. economy has lost a substantial number of young potential workers who will never make up the ground they […]TonyLima
- The Economist Made Me an Offer I Can’t Understand January 7, 2015The best I can say about this is that the pricing is confusing and appears irrational. If The Economist really wants my business, they'll have to make me an offer I can understand.TonyLima
- The Minimum Wage Kills Twelve More Jobs January 5, 2015I invite all those who claim increasing the minimum wage has no impact to visit Life Challenge of Michigan and tell them what you think. The organization is faith-based, so you will probably be treated cordially. But at least have the courage of your convictions. Tell these folks that you're glad the higher minimum wage […]TonyLima
- Subprime Cell Phones January 23, 2015
- Two weeks after Zuckerberg said ‘je suis Charlie,’ Facebook begins censoring images of prophet Muhammad http://t.co/LHp2UhHrbQ, 7 hours ago
- In which the president discovers an American intelligence agency at Five Guys - Ben Smith - http://t.co/E2LieaKK3B http://t.co/AVtZtyIR48, 13 hours ago
- How airports beat bad weather - http://t.co/vzv887pyg8 http://t.co/iPk3y583R6, 14 hours ago
- Rep. Jared Polis wants U.S. intelligence to monitor Sen. Marco Rubio 24/7 - The Washington Post http://t.co/MyzalzOVtm, 14 hours ago
- Spy General Unloads on Obama’s ISIS War Plan - The Daily Beast http://t.co/zr9RY3b9k2, 14 hours ago
- promissory notes debt payments loan default huelskamp legal obligations state and local governments unemployment benefit government revenue debt clock debt contract congressional budget office council for higher education accreditation zoning district takings clause san jose mercury news federal student aid u s department of education accredited universities pell grants bls data blumer wood fires greek environment wood burning stoves demand curves heating oil economic crisis demand curve tax incentive incentives public health risk synagogue entrails seasonal patterns seasonal factors jobless claims seasonality capitol hill treasury secretary jack lew roger kimball kafka the trial korbel multilateral agreement geographical indications sparkling wine intellectual property rights flipping education bureaucracy educrat instruction intellectual property issues sparkling wines economic history lyndon johnson war in vietnam permanent income model temporary tax change world trade organization world trade organization wto champagne region of france math instruction peter king debt limit simple accounting u s mint dollar coin credit card payment Joe Weisenthal Wesienthal economic recovery national debt ceiling Jake Tapper house speaker harry reid barack obama christie house of representatives lazy media media scum republicans economic database widget french workers supply shock titan international amiens france french industry maurice taylor goodyear french government tire manufacturer miami university black teens david neumark david macpherson william wascher national bureau of economic research youth unemployment jobless rate minority youth trinity university cerner corp electronic medical records vaccines and autism ira flatow justice department shakedown andrew wakefield flu vaccine introductory college courses low information voter science friday partners in crime prescription drugs legacy systems health care industry allscripts arra patient information us postal service ups and fedex epic income distribution survey article options trading security prices futures options treasury security tyler durden treasuries o brien criminal prosecution mark of shame treasury futures cme data environmentalists sovereign nation canadian tar sands keystone Keystone XL first class postage paper checks social security checks justice system arne duncan governor brown governor rick perry texas governor rick perry california businesses governor perry formal sector minimum wage increases truck rental government credit downgrade freedom of speech math education seventh grade state board of education financial institutions reform recovery and enforcement act justice department lawsuit cdos subprime mortgage rmbs war on poverty tax surcharge Freidman council of economic advisers Morishita California budget Commoner moon is a harsh mistress campbell mcconnell barry commoner economist milton friedman waste of tax dollars CSUEB needy families rehabilitation programs family assistance training education Social Security fail Romney Marie Myung-Ok Lee obesity robert heinlein tanstaafl gdp growth statistical fluke common market european economic community margin of error bond girl foundations of economic analysis incinerator harrisburg pennsylvania history of the european union european monetary union oil energy oil markets energy crises employment statistics excel workbook european economic union nobel peace prize nobel prize committee mental health treatment substance abuse treatment imdb internet movie database home theater system Mountain Lion polling firms tweets center on budget and policy priorities health insurance premiums twitter Airplay streaming video denison technological growth paul romer max weber economic growth Charles Jones Robert Hall rule of law marginal cost curve van de water welfare work mainstream media idiots media goofs welfare TANF rehabilitation activities education job search PRWORA media innumeracy polling errorNBC health expenditures ct scanners pet scanners supply curve mri machines price increases excise tax marginal costs value of education finding apartments supplemental nutrition assistance program department of agriculture supplemental nutrition nutrition assistance chairman arthur levitt arthur levitt house republican caucus securities and exchange aol consumer price index career success fixed cost consumer search british petroleum gas prices bp consumers commerce department consumer confidence national defense authorization market futures cnbc futures traders agricultural bill milk prices supply and demand george santayana president lyndon johnson Carney john carney light trucks plan b sequestration snap program tax cuts mayans fiscal policy analysis Dr. Goose limerick price of gasoline retail gasoline democratic agenda csu system bad teachers reading comprehension teacher credentialing union dues brooke gladstone central limit theorem university california unholy trinity democratic politicians landslide san francisco rent control polls california faculty association voucher programs tenure decisions math capabilities meta analysis political polling jeffrey brown national education association pbs news hour newshour teachers union gasoline market Dennis Van Roekel pbs punctuation egregious error public radio international response rate random sample political economist eric zencey domestic transactions ecological economics university of vermont california state legislature colleges and universities in california shock estimates MediCal Medicaid forward looking backward looking demand elasticity first quarter investment slow growth negative interest rate Mel Watt housing bubble charity buzz Fannie Mae Freddy Mac 2014:1 archaic regulations Ackman price discrimination beef price Krugman subject matter knowledge Google Davidow Volcker Benko car loans affordable car act Ferguson value added NIPA Neumark poverty export Burkhauser Sabia Atlantic earned income tax credit Lundstrom looktothestars celebrity lunch Ricoh Staples New York Times stupid underground economy online order system Intuit best of the web tax refund TurboTax black market Venezuela price control Bitcoin Bloomberg View price rationing shortage excess demand excess supply surplus food prices commodity prices government waste stupid policy self-deportation FDIC third-party payments suppression second amendment first amendment illegal immigration puerto rico debt Crimea Russia custody account municipal bankruptcy Stockton Detroit Harrisburg San Bernardino BEA historical data Lerner Index market power monopoly monopoly pricing elasticity Maryland McArdle satire rain tax Hungary foreign exchange information Fed Yellen incentive hospitality banking bank regulation operation choke point parent participation employment life challenge of michigan tastes of life IP investment pricing confusion credit rating cell phone TPPP intellectual property subprime rv loans art currency J.S.G. Boggs cronyism economic policy The Interview exchange rate uncovered interest parity euro breakup innovation environment zero emissions hybrid SF Muni Valparaiso spelling is hard Hawaiian independence native Hawaiian Hawaii San Francisco Muni Texas third estimate second estimate advance estimate annual revision Gaza data journalists population density politics AmeriCorps marginal revenue product Yankees baseball wage productivity Mulligan Douthat cults Jeter auto computer yacht tax snack tax corporate income tax luxury tax suicide hidden tax dmv post hoc Bloomberg Sperling adverse selection asymmetric information george akerlof john reilly moral hazard victorville daily press part time job full time work lisa benson carbon tax david kestenbaum liquidity crisis reinhardt bond market lender of last resort pboc henry jacoby crunch bank of china political cartoons chapter 9 bankruptcy publicly financed stadiums Siegfried Noll humphreys intragovernmental holdings selling securities overdraft fees second chance checking accounts reallocation red wings dennis coates presidential campaign cbs news jim messina detroit michigan college enrollment andrew zimbalist robert whaples professional sports facilities federal debt rogoff taxes cabaret tax birth rate roof gardens cyprus banks russian mafia suckers haircut deposit balances supply side economics baby boom public colleges american council on education universities in california excel plugin dow jones bureau of internal revenue stork club eric felten russians Cyprus embarrassment gura forum program incomes employment data 30 year treasuries u s treasury bonds cps kai ryssdal david blanchflower public higher education baccalaureate degree higher education system onerous requirement virtual laboratory university education university buildings tuition bill bank of america overdraft fee Michael Bromwich Cote Denise Cote antitrust Bromwich bully health insurance companies private health insurance health insurance industry AMAC Association of Mature American Citizens economics research michael reich evsey domar magical thinking capitalist system aarp american association of retired persons federal government program single payer health insurers stock buyback stock split newspeak Tim Cook ivory Sebelius bad research war on drugs Orwell health care Dev Bootcamp BPPE mistake regulation Shereef Bishay Zanny Minton Beddoes full time Bishay mandates single point entrepreneurial opportunity school cafeteria market imperfection food trucks externality school lunches economic activity bureaucrats economic analysis economic profits negative externalities checking account jpmorgan overdrafts checks LASD michelle obama BCS Bullis Charter School misdemeanor conviction government bureaucrats john crudele global competition dissaving new york post survey work executive branch economic data falsification rent interest money mary jo white plea bargain income wealth capital gains saving dollar social infrastructure factor productivity economic woes smart employees bad management scott adams excess reserves stimulus john c dvorak patents monopolies technology impacts inventions copyright law inventor term yields bond yields crackdown equity research ipods fbi shoot from the hip john maynard keynes apple computer macintosh computer southeast asian countries fomc susan pulliam insider trading legitimate research economic efficiency cost of health care david romer james poterba stanford university robert j gordon northwestern university business cycles cambridge massachusetts economic fluctuations nber research associate 1 million harvard univerity martin feldstein jeffrey frankel joe gagnon institute for international economics birthing centers expansion bill mr bush medical practices administrative services electronic health records patient communication systems bank reserves federal reserve board monetary affairs international finance apy tax increases where are the jobs government budget deficits national literacy summit federal reserve bank of chicago visa inc financial literacy federal reserve bank indebtedness debt government budget trillion http://gonzoecon.com/wp-ad treasurydirect gov u s treasury department credit markets global credit new york times columnist performance enhancing drugs chris dodd food and drug administration barry bonds mortgage interest rates senator chris dodd corwin medicare reform proposal tea party plurality pundit exxon lucifer CAB airlines Civilian Aeronautics Board national public radio attendance rates grade inflation deregulation Alfred Kahn Foxconn small businesses Foxcon Foxcon suicide China suicide class attendance lubbers evil corporations federal government spending obscene profits walmart exxon mobil TheTruth Wears Off scientific method going to college college faculty higher education wikipedia optimal currency area trusts charities subprime market financial models econometric model financial crisis president roosevelt sound economic policy david brooks subprime mortgages census bureau press policy prescriptions domestic spending seasonal variation financial market meltdown economic advisers labor markets government takeover loan applications census workers job creation gary stern minneapolis fed student loan program political favoritism iphone four more years mobile version blackberry Android cuba military court bank of india foreign nationals remittances money transfers bernard madoff wall street paypal india money state of the economy banking crisis indian regulators personal payments reserve bank of india stock market losses ancient mayans smith barney 1098 forms Merrill Lynch Roth IRA ksm interest free loan champion martha stewart stewart sentencing five months 100 million fraud biggest banks ron feldman debt instruments government issues fiscal stimulus mr cameron david cameron stimulus package credit card balance budget surpluses toyota vehicle sudden acceleration crash data nhtsa driver error transfer payments fiscal policy hedge funds limited partnership financial institutions financial instruments hedge fund pension fund managers confidence bernanke economic forecasters government policies wages mandate national highway traffic safety administration acceleration problems trades market crash limit order djia employment prospects wsj durable goods business inventories tbtf monetary instruments economies of scale w wilson private domestic investment bls web economic events international airline european competitors unintended consequences subsidies toyota motor corp european governments european airlines layoffs separations optimism emirates airlines airbus a380s favorable treatment free exchange World Bank venture capital Jim Yong Kim community organizer budget proposal capital gains tax ee times businessweek vc firms cleantech sec regulations energy program startups tax expenditures dividend income muni municipal bond interest growth TLA three letter acronym FLA local taxes interest payments taxing capital health care benefits tax preferences mortgage interest charitable contributions accredited investors government grants durable goods orders green cepr capital goods rear view mirror rear view camera hens eggs AAPL employment unemployment Boockvar bad analysis david owen mini vans benefit cost ratio customer accounts customer funds defense authorization act small business innovation research national defense authorization act federal prosecutors european currencies station wagon benefit cost analysis department of transportation Galbraith joe nocera four letter acronym nobel prize in economics Draghi Mars Hacker algebra is hard brandeis university andrew hacker countrywide financial martian math is hard Costco tax havens offshore bank james henry numerical skills science math security features counterfeit unemployment benefits endogenous growth theory robert solow ben franklin color copier color laser printer queens college abe lincoln security thread counterfeiters mortgage brokers banking history NBER calubtun Business Cycles Committee St. Louis Fed economic stimulus Kathleen Hays Ponzi Stewart Zuckerberg nominal interest rates criminal grexit ERM unconventional Anna Schwartz housing crisis bank lending mortgage originations discrimination lawsuit mortgage finance medical device manufacturer medical device makers debt to gdp ratio LFPR medical device tax CT scanner PET scanner population estimates Martian banks regulatory uncertainty u s government bonds inflationary pressures Argentina seasonal holiday Official inflation rate corporate bond yields quadratic formula euro countries allan h meltzer Supersad True Love Story northern euro southern euro civilian labor force labor force participation chocolate holidays cocoa optimum currency areas eurozone countries euro exchange rate chocolate lovers cocoa prices unemployed workers government jobs new businesses debt crisis chocolate consumption free trade agreement national labor relations board brazilian real devaluation depreciation copom roger vadim debt plan brazil government interest parity members of congress office of the president taxpayer money professional athletes monetary policy committee hurricane irene patricia bosworth ken rogoff california state government unemployment insurance benefits payroll tax reduction transportation projects CalPERS public employees retirement system barbarella houghton mifflin jane fonda hanoi california public employees retirement system deutschemark gary shteyngart tax preparation alternative minimum tax federal government regulation santa clara valley transportation authority bus lanes bus rapid transit tax simplification middle class taxpayers principles of economics information economics information goods cengage california state taxes vta brt segraves compliance rate wtop adjustment mechanism delinquency rate executive office of the president tim geithner palo alto mountain view sunnyvale santa clara san jose apple store valley transportation authority california gasoline new host california government stupid EEOC Constitution high school diploma per capita income disposable income leading economic indicators market reforms french champagne statistical tools leading indicator ethanol green standards TIPS yield curves real yield curve cellulosic ethanol aplia expectation inflation curve Greece crisis nominal yield curve government mandate biofuel ethanol production ethanol technology new yorker Mundell federal government debt karl rove mainstream media jonathan bush u s treasury treasury notes athenahealth exchange rate risk personal income wells fargo department of justice graduation rate Euro crisis fedex ups Dave Barry los altos complexity treasury bills dean baker discouraged workers fomc meeting IRS mortgage backed securities inflation protected securities employment report treasury inflation protected securities debt ceiling financial meltdown bad spelling tax returns inflation target olivier blanchard inflation rate international monetary fund bailout citibank Stanford government economics U.S. economy 1099 forms Great Recession central banks macroeconomic policy bls gov economy new jobs money supply sophisticated investors government spending unemployment numbers great depression downward revision retail sales collateralized debt obligations economists health care bill financial markets kqed informal sector interest rates minimum wage hike empirical studies princeton European Central Bank usps u s postal service debt obligations congress national debt ken gardner canada Treasury economist city of detroit subprime education subprime auto loans California mf global choke point default Puerto Rico Germany municipal bond affordable care act The Economist Taranto Dodd-Frank bonds banks banking system political science Netflix pollster Reed Hastings unemployment optimum currency area dividends eric holder municipal bonds facebook ipo stock market ipo statistics dexit charter schools teachers unions statisticians food stamps john boehner government regulations economic principles national income accounting population survey california state university east bay Social Security free lunch milton friedman paul krugman government bonds treasury department david burge innumeracy alan krueger treasury securities amazon paul ryan default risk securities and exchange commission consumer spending purchasing power nominal interest rate household survey Madoff government budget deficit ben bernanke inflation expectations bush tax cuts yield curve humor common core public debt fred database federal reserve bank of st louis healthcare government data bls tax math seasonal adjustment SEC marketplace jon corzine Greece mitt romney fail PACA algebra california state university iowahawk real gdp recession real interest rate census bureau obama Apple facebook jobs stupid inflation bureau of economic analysis government debt monetary policy ecb ObamaCare federal reserve bureau of labor statistics eurozone gross domestic product labor force participation rate npr ACA euro gdp wall street journal minimum wage unemployment rate new york times featured