Posts Tagged purchasing power
Frankly, these statements are incredibly stupid. Inflation means prices and incomes are rising at about the same rate. Any increase in salaries will just keep pace with inflation, leaving the consumer with unchanged purchasing power. The only way people who borrow can pay back with cheaper dollars is if the inflation is a complete surprise. If the inflation is expected, it will be part of the interest rate on the loan. Finally, higher housing prices? Give me a break. Even if housing prices rose, the real net wealth in your house wouldn’t change much because the higher price level would eat up the price increase.
Introduction Economists take it for granted that everyone knows the definition of the real interest rate: r = i – p where i is the nominal interest rate and p is the inflation rate. The real interest rate measures the net transfer of purchasing power from borrowers to lenders. Lenders will be repaid i dollars […]
Blanchard’s argument is that by raising the inflation target, nominal interest rates would be higher. This, he proposes, would give central banks more room to reduce interest rates to stimulate the economy. Unfortunately, Prof. Blanchard has made an error that should make him blush.
central banks, inflation rate, inflation target, international monetary fund, macroeconomic policy, nominal interest rate, olivier blanchard, policy prescriptions, purchasing power, real interest rate
The Newsletter SignupThe e-mail newsletter signup is temporarily disabled. If you're interested, please e-mail me directly.
- Monopoly Pricing in a Government Agency November 18, 2014I've been looking into detailed election results, specifically our local school district. There are 31 precincts. To save some time I thought I'd get the GIS maps. Imagine my surprise when I found out they would cost $86 per precinct! I wondered if this came close to the monopoly profit-maximizing price. Have I found monopoly […]TonyLima
- Exchange Rate Risk Part 999 November 16, 2014Assuming the current exchange rate remains the same, she will never pay off this mortgage. Her payment in Swiss francs is less than the monthly interest. Therefore, she is experiencing negative amortization in forints.TonyLima
- Healthcare.gov Begins a New Season November 15, 2014First up, the state of Washington's HealthPlanFinderTonyLima
- Operation Choke Point November 14, 2014So much for the second amendment: firearms and ammunition sales. So much for your social life: dating services (no, I won't include escort services). And pharmaceutical sales? Are they talking about the drugs I regularly get from Kaiser via USPS? Needless to say, racist materials, telemarketing, and even pornography are broadly protected by the first […]TonyLima
- Monopoly Pricing in a Government Agency November 18, 2014
- RT @dandrezner: This @asymmetricinfo post is far and away the best single thing I've read on #GruberGate. http://t.co/zBWmtrdQAH, 5 hours ago
- RT @sdwinkler: @aawayne Errouneous doesn't necessarily mean accidental, just mistaken. Yes, this was a mistake to try to deceive., 5 hours ago
- RT @FDRLST: No, Reagan Did Not Offer An Amnesty By Lawless Executive Order http://t.co/LYkezBT6kg, 5 hours ago
- RT @caitlinacarroll: BREAKING: Obama Admin included dental plans in #ObamaCare enrollments- without telling anyone: http://t.co/tIxGI6pwIc, 5 hours ago
- RT @hale_razor: President Walker isn't changing the law; he's merely not enforcing it as it relates to requiring gun buyers to have background checks., 5 hours ago
- pell grants federal student aid san jose mercury news council for higher education accreditation accredited universities u s department of education huelskamp debt contract congressional budget office zoning district takings clause credit card payment dollar coin debt limit economic recovery Wesienthal roger kimball kafka the trial Joe Weisenthal loan default debt payments seasonality jobless claims entrails jack lew treasury secretary public health risk synagogue capitol hill seasonal patterns seasonal factors state and local governments legal obligations promissory notes debt clock government revenue blumer bls data unemployment benefit simple accounting u s mint champagne region of france temporary tax change permanent income model economic history world trade organization wto world trade organization sparkling wine intellectual property issues sparkling wines lyndon johnson war in vietnam supply and demand milk prices cnbc Carney president lyndon johnson war on poverty tax surcharge george santayana geographical indications multilateral agreement house of representatives christie house speaker republicans media scum national debt ceiling Jake Tapper lazy media harry reid barack obama flipping intellectual property rights korbel instruction educrat peter king math instruction education bureaucracy demand curves wood burning stoves national bureau of economic research david neumark david macpherson william wascher youth unemployment trinity university black teens jobless rate minority youth income distribution survey article governor brown governor rick perry texas governor rick perry california businesses governor perry formal sector minimum wage increases truck rental miami university amiens france legacy systems health care industry allscripts arra patient information us postal service ups and fedex epic electronic medical records cerner corp french workers supply shock titan international french industry maurice taylor goodyear french government tire manufacturer government credit downgrade freedom of speech keystone environmentalists sovereign nation Keystone XL social security checks cme data first class postage paper checks canadian tar sands widget heating oil wood fires greek environment economic crisis incentives economic database demand curve tax incentive treasury futures treasury security math education seventh grade state board of education financial institutions reform recovery and enforcement act justice department lawsuit cdos subprime mortgage rmbs arne duncan justice system options trading security prices futures options tyler durden treasuries o brien criminal prosecution mark of shame futures traders agricultural bill CSUEB Romney Marie Myung-Ok Lee obesity waste of tax dollars California budget Freidman council of economic advisers Morishita Social Security fail training education rehabilitation activities education job search PRWORA substance abuse treatment mental health treatment needy families rehabilitation programs family assistance Commoner moon is a harsh mistress european economic union nobel peace prize nobel prize committee european monetary union history of the european union statistical fluke common market european economic community excel workbook employment statistics campbell mcconnell barry commoner economist milton friedman robert heinlein tanstaafl oil energy oil markets energy crises TANF welfare streaming video Charles Jones Robert Hall Airplay Mountain Lion imdb internet movie database home theater system rule of law economic growth factor productivity robert solow endogenous growth theory social infrastructure paul romer max weber denison technological growth polling firms tweets price increases excise tax marginal costs polling errorNBC media innumeracy welfare work mainstream media idiots media goofs mri machines supply curve center on budget and policy priorities health insurance premiums twitter marginal cost curve van de water health expenditures ct scanners pet scanners gdp growth margin of error consumer confidence bp gas prices fixed cost commerce department consumers nutrition assistance consumer price index career success consumer search british petroleum teachers union newshour jeffrey brown pbs Dennis Van Roekel price of gasoline retail gasoline gasoline market supplemental nutrition department of agriculture mayans tax cuts plan b limerick Dr. Goose john carney light trucks fiscal policy analysis sequestration snap program arthur levitt chairman arthur levitt supplemental nutrition assistance program aol securities and exchange market futures national defense authorization house republican caucus national education association pbs news hour tenure decisions math capabilities california faculty association voucher programs democratic politicians bad teachers reading comprehension unholy trinity polls landslide incinerator harrisburg pennsylvania bond girl foundations of economic analysis value of education san francisco rent control finding apartments csu system charter schools eric zencey political economist public radio international university of vermont ecological economics punctuation egregious error domestic transactions response rate random sample union dues teacher credentialing democratic agenda university california central limit theorem political polling meta analysis brooke gladstone prescription drugs partners in crime first amendment third-party payments FDIC government waste second amendment suppression charity buzz looktothestars celebrity lunch stupid policy self-deportation Stockton municipal bankruptcy Crimea San Bernardino Harrisburg illegal immigration puerto rico debt Detroit housing bubble Mel Watt backward looking forward looking shock investment first quarter beef price price discrimination demand elasticity estimates MediCal Ackman Freddy Mac Fannie Mae archaic regulations 2014:1 Medicaid slow growth negative interest rate Russia custody account bad research war on drugs ivory Sebelius Sperling Bitcoin Bloomberg View Bloomberg Tim Cook stock buyback The Economist full time Bishay Zanny Minton Beddoes health care stock split newspeak Orwell price control price rationing TurboTax Intuit online order system tax refund Taranto commodity prices food prices best of the web Ricoh Staples excess supply surplus shortage excess demand Venezuela New York Times stupid underground economy black market export poverty baseball Jeter auto computer hidden tax Yankees marginal revenue product cults productivity wage dmv post hoc AmeriCorps politics Hawaiian independence corporate income tax snack tax suicide luxury tax yacht tax Douthat Mulligan Hungary foreign exchange banking monopoly pricing monopoly elasticity Lerner Index market power bank regulation choke point Yellen euro breakup innovation Fed information operation choke point hospitality incentive native Hawaiian Hawaii Krugman subject matter knowledge education Volcker Benko subprime auto loans subprime Ferguson Google Davidow Sabia Burkhauser Neumark Lundstrom earned income tax credit value added NIPA Atlantic affordable car act car loans SF Muni San Francisco Muni Texas hybrid zero emissions spelling is hard Valparaiso environment data journalists advance estimate historical data BEA second estimate third estimate population density Gaza annual revision Shereef Bishay regulation reinhardt bond market federal debt rogoff liquidity crisis lender of last resort crunch bank of china pboc 30 year treasuries u s treasury bonds forum program kai ryssdal david blanchflower gura embarrassment cps employment data incomes henry jacoby david kestenbaum jim messina chapter 9 bankruptcy political cartoons cbs news presidential campaign professional sports facilities college enrollment detroit michigan part time job full time work george akerlof john reilly carbon tax asymmetric information adverse selection lisa benson victorville daily press moral hazard university education university buildings american council on education universities in california colleges and universities in california public colleges excel plugin stork club eric felten dow jones california state legislature introductory college courses ira flatow justice department shakedown vaccines and autism andrew wakefield low information voter science friday flu vaccine bureau of internal revenue baby boom higher education system Cyprus russians baccalaureate degree public higher education tuition bill virtual laboratory onerous requirement suckers haircut birth rate roof gardens supply side economics cabaret tax taxes deposit balances russian mafia cyprus banks robert whaples andrew zimbalist mandates single point executive branch economic data affordable care act evsey domar magical thinking economics research michael reich falsification survey work interest capital gains saving rent dissaving new york post john crudele global competition capitalist system federal government program health insurance companies private health insurance health insurance industry single payer health insurers Dev Bootcamp BPPE mistake bully Bromwich Association of Mature American Citizens aarp american association of retired persons AMAC antitrust Michael Bromwich Cote Denise Cote dollar wealth overdraft fee bank of america overdraft fees overdrafts jpmorgan LASD checks checking account second chance checking accounts reallocation humphreys red wings dennis coates Noll Siegfried selling securities intragovernmental holdings publicly financed stadiums Bullis Charter School BCS misdemeanor conviction economic activity bureaucrats government bureaucrats plea bargain income money mary jo white economic analysis school lunches economic profits negative externalities michelle obama food trucks market imperfection externality entrepreneurial opportunity school cafeteria unemployment benefits security features smart employees john c dvorak economic woes bad management stimulus scott adams patents inventor technology impacts economic efficiency monopolies inventions copyright law excess reserves term yields equity research apple computer crackdown ipods fbi macintosh computer legitimate research fomc bond yields southeast asian countries susan pulliam insider trading cost of health care administrative services james poterba cambridge massachusetts david romer stanford university business cycles robert j gordon economic fluctuations jeffrey frankel 1 million trusts nber research associate harvard univerity martin feldstein northwestern university joe gagnon expansion bill patient communication systems birthing centers mr bush medical practices free exchange apy federal reserve board institute for international economics bank reserves monetary affairs international finance john maynard keynes shoot from the hip indebtedness debt government national literacy summit government budget deficits visa inc federal reserve bank of chicago u s treasury department treasurydirect gov exxon lucifer trillion budget http://gonzoecon.com/wp-ad federal reserve bank financial literacy mortgage interest rates senator chris dodd performance enhancing drugs new york times columnist chris dodd pundit plurality global credit credit markets medicare reform proposal corwin tea party exxon mobil walmart deregulation Alfred Kahn airlines CAB national public radio Civilian Aeronautics Board China suicide Foxcon suicide where are the jobs tax increases small businesses Foxconn Foxcon grade inflation attendance rates TheTruth Wears Off scientific method federal government spending evil corporations obscene profits optimal currency area wikipedia lubbers class attendance college faculty going to college higher education charities hedge fund subprime market financial models econometric model financial crisis president roosevelt sound economic policy david brooks subprime mortgages census bureau press policy prescriptions domestic spending seasonal variation financial market meltdown economic advisers labor markets government takeover loan applications census workers job creation minneapolis fed student loan program political favoritism iphone four more years mobile version blackberry Android cuba military court bank of india foreign nationals remittances money transfers bernard madoff wall street paypal india money state of the economy banking crisis indian regulators personal payments reserve bank of india stock market losses ancient mayans smith barney 1098 forms Merrill Lynch Roth IRA ksm interest free loan champion martha stewart stewart sentencing five months 100 million fraud gary stern biggest banks government issues credit card balance debt instruments fiscal stimulus stimulus package mr cameron budget surpluses driver error sudden acceleration national highway traffic safety administration toyota vehicle crash data nhtsa david cameron transfer payments limited partnership pension fund managers hedge funds financial institutions financial instruments confidence mandate economic forecasters fiscal policy bernanke government policies wages acceleration problems toyota motor corp market crash durable goods trades limit order wsj djia business inventories private domestic investment monetary instruments ron feldman tbtf economies of scale w wilson employment prospects bls web european competitors european governments international airline unintended consequences subsidies european airlines airbus a380s separations economic events layoffs optimism emirates airlines food and drug administration electronic health records businessweek startups ee times venture capital Jim Yong Kim World Bank energy program sec regulations government grants national defense authorization act accredited investors cleantech vc firms community organizer capital gains tax interest payments charitable contributions local taxes municipal bond interest muni mortgage interest tax preferences tax expenditures budget proposal dividend income health care benefits taxing capital small business innovation research defense authorization act eggs david owen hens green cepr durable goods orders bad analysis Boockvar office of the president delinquency rate population estimates employment unemployment AAPL capital goods rear view camera european currencies joe nocera federal prosecutors customer funds customer accounts Galbraith department of transportation mini vans rear view mirror benefit cost ratio benefit cost analysis station wagon growth TLA james henry offshore bank martian Martian banks Draghi Mars tax havens math is hard mortgage finance discrimination lawsuit banking history barry bonds Costco Hacker algebra is hard counterfeiters security thread color copier ben franklin counterfeit abe lincoln color laser printer brandeis university andrew hacker numerical skills science math queens college mortgage originations housing crisis ERM grexit Stewart Ponzi NBER calubtun criminal Zuckerberg three letter acronym FLA four letter acronym nobel prize in economics nominal interest rates Business Cycles Committee St. Louis Fed PET scanner CT scanner medical device makers medical device manufacturer bank lending medical device tax debt to gdp ratio economic stimulus Kathleen Hays unconventional Anna Schwartz LFPR wtop mortgage brokers corporate bond yields quadratic formula u s government bonds regulatory uncertainty Argentina inflationary pressures southern euro northern euro gary shteyngart free trade agreement allan h meltzer euro countries Supersad True Love Story Official inflation rate seasonal holiday chocolate lovers cocoa prices holidays chocolate cocoa chocolate consumption debt crisis labor force participation civilian labor force government jobs unemployed workers new businesses national labor relations board payroll tax reduction brazil government interest parity devaluation brazilian real copom depreciation monetary policy committee professional athletes favorable treatment segraves countrywide financial members of congress taxpayer money debt plan roger vadim CalPERS public employees retirement system california state government ken rogoff unemployment insurance benefits california public employees retirement system hanoi patricia bosworth hurricane irene houghton mifflin barbarella jane fonda optimum currency areas transportation projects middle class taxpayers california state taxes tax simplification alternative minimum tax santa clara valley transportation authority federal government regulation cengage information goods aplia expectation inflation curve apple store information economics principles of economics valley transportation authority bus rapid transit tim geithner san jose executive office of the president euro exchange rate compliance rate santa clara sunnyvale vta bus lanes brt mountain view palo alto nominal yield curve tax preparation disposable income leading indicator new host california gasoline california government stupid green standards statistical tools french champagne deutschemark eurozone countries adjustment mechanism market reforms leading economic indicators EEOC per capita income ethanol technology ethanol production Greece crisis high school diploma real yield curve TIPS biofuel yield curves government mandate Constitution ethanol cellulosic ethanol Mundell new yorker federal government debt u s treasury karl rove default risk graduation rate jonathan bush wells fargo mainstream media athenahealth personal income treasury notes department of justice fedex dean baker discouraged workers ups Euro crisis Dave Barry treasury bills bls employment report IRS debt ceiling fomc meeting mortgage backed securities treasury inflation protected securities inflation protected securities exchange rate risk financial meltdown bad spelling tax returns inflation target olivier blanchard inflation rate international monetary fund bailout citibank Stanford complexity economics U.S. economy 1099 forms Great Recession central banks macroeconomic policy bls gov economy new jobs money supply sophisticated investors government spending unemployment numbers great depression downward revision retail sales collateralized debt obligations economists health care bill financial markets population survey canada Treasury u s postal service usps bonds interest rates national debt debt obligations john boehner food stamps stock market Dodd-Frank congress informal sector minimum wage hike Puerto Rico Germany default California los altos tax municipal bond city of detroit European Central Bank empirical studies princeton economist humor national income accounting ken gardner unemployment optimum currency area fail banking system algebra banks dexit statisticians mf global government eric holder dividends facebook ipo municipal bonds political science ipo milton friedman free lunch seasonal adjustment economic principles Netflix kqed california state university east bay teachers unions Reed Hastings statistics pollster Social Security government regulations paul krugman yield curve david burge treasury securities innumeracy paul ryan ben bernanke government bonds treasury department government budget deficit consumer spending purchasing power nominal interest rate securities and exchange commission Madoff bush tax cuts amazon inflation expectations government data fred database SEC alan krueger public debt common core math healthcare marketplace federal reserve bank of st louis california state university mitt romney household survey jon corzine Greece facebook iowahawk PACA recession obama real interest rate census bureau real gdp ObamaCare jobs Apple stupid inflation government debt monetary policy bureau of economic analysis ecb federal reserve bureau of labor statistics eurozone labor force participation rate ACA gross domestic product npr euro gdp minimum wage wall street journal unemployment rate new york times featured