Posts Tagged purchasing power
Frankly, these statements are incredibly stupid. Inflation means prices and incomes are rising at about the same rate. Any increase in salaries will just keep pace with inflation, leaving the consumer with unchanged purchasing power. The only way people who borrow can pay back with cheaper dollars is if the inflation is a complete surprise. If the inflation is expected, it will be part of the interest rate on the loan. Finally, higher housing prices? Give me a break. Even if housing prices rose, the real net wealth in your house wouldn’t change much because the higher price level would eat up the price increase.
Introduction Economists take it for granted that everyone knows the definition of the real interest rate: r = i – p where i is the nominal interest rate and p is the inflation rate. The real interest rate measures the net transfer of purchasing power from borrowers to lenders. Lenders will be repaid i dollars […]
Blanchard’s argument is that by raising the inflation target, nominal interest rates would be higher. This, he proposes, would give central banks more room to reduce interest rates to stimulate the economy. Unfortunately, Prof. Blanchard has made an error that should make him blush.
central banks, inflation rate, inflation target, international monetary fund, macroeconomic policy, nominal interest rate, olivier blanchard, policy prescriptions, purchasing power, real interest rate
The Newsletter SignupThe e-mail newsletter signup is temporarily disabled. If you're interested, please e-mail me directly.
- Spam Ultimate Fail February 26, 2015The subject line was "My First Client." "Swell," I thought, "real estate, hookers, who knows." I was about to delete it when I saw the highlighted sentence below.TonyLima
- Monetary Policy is Like Pushing on a String February 3, 2015Average annual growth rates of M1 and M2 are in the 6% - 8% range. Reserves have averaged 215.25% per year. Reserves are not being loaned. And until lending picks up the Fed might as well close up shop.TonyLima
- U.S. Government Debt Revisited February 1, 2015Honestly, this material is not difficult and the data is readily available. I always have trouble understanding why people don't simply look at the facts instead of trusting the media. Nearly everyone in the media, including most of those who report on economics, are illiterate about even the most basic economic concepts. Remember, their college […]secureadmin
- Operation Choke Point: A Win For the Good Guys January 28, 2015The good guys win one! Let's all be happy for a few days.secureadmin
- Spam Ultimate Fail February 26, 2015
- Global Interest Rates Update http://t.co/1nDeUmgZsp, 2 hours ago
- RT @DividendMaster: some dude just got caught with one of the prince's wives @ Buckingham Palace ? https://t.co/hY2xoWShWY, 5 hours ago
- RT @A_single_bear: What is a llama? I am a bear., 10 hours ago
- RT @asymmetricinfo: cc @Brooke_Sample MT @terryteachout:any writer who isn't constantly abjectly grateful to his editors is a hubristic fool who's asking for it, 10 hours ago
- Hillary Clintons Top Aides Knew from First Minutes that Benghazi Was a Terrorist Attack, E-mails Disclose http://t.co/2Rh1T7lcK2, 11 hours ago
- government revenue debt clock state and local governments legal obligations unemployment benefit bls data seasonal patterns seasonal factors blumer promissory notes debt payments accredited universities pell grants federal student aid u s department of education congressional budget office loan default huelskamp debt contract entrails jobless claims tax incentive incentives economic crisis heating oil demand curve economic database sovereign nation canadian tar sands widget wood fires greek environment treasury secretary jack lew seasonality capitol hill synagogue wood burning stoves demand curves public health risk san jose mercury news council for higher education accreditation instruction flipping intellectual property rights korbel educrat education bureaucracy barack obama peter king math instruction multilateral agreement geographical indications champagne region of france temporary tax change permanent income model world trade organization wto world trade organization sparkling wine intellectual property issues sparkling wines harry reid house speaker Wesienthal economic recovery credit card payment dollar coin Joe Weisenthal kafka the trial zoning district takings clause roger kimball debt limit simple accounting republicans house of representatives christie media scum lazy media u s mint national debt ceiling Jake Tapper environmentalists keystone french government tire manufacturer maurice taylor french industry goodyear cerner corp health care industry allscripts electronic medical records french workers supply shock minority youth trinity university youth unemployment jobless rate black teens titan international amiens france miami university legacy systems arra low information voter science friday flu vaccine andrew wakefield introductory college courses california state legislature american council on education universities in california colleges and universities in california vaccines and autism ira flatow ups and fedex epic patient information us postal service prescription drugs justice department shakedown partners in crime national bureau of economic research david neumark criminal prosecution mark of shame treasuries tyler durden o brien justice system seventh grade state board of education arne duncan options trading security prices paper checks social security checks Keystone XL first class postage cme data futures options treasury security treasury futures math education financial institutions reform recovery and enforcement act minimum wage increases truck rental governor perry formal sector survey article david macpherson william wascher income distribution california businesses governor brown subprime mortgage rmbs justice department lawsuit cdos freedom of speech governor rick perry texas governor rick perry government credit downgrade economic history lyndon johnson moon is a harsh mistress Commoner Freidman council of economic advisers economist milton friedman barry commoner tanstaafl robert heinlein campbell mcconnell Morishita California budget Social Security fail training education needy families obesity Marie Myung-Ok Lee waste of tax dollars CSUEB Romney energy crises oil markets bond girl margin of error gdp growth statistical fluke harrisburg pennsylvania incinerator finding apartments value of education foundations of economic analysis common market european economic community excel workbook employment statistics oil energy nobel prize committee nobel peace prize history of the european union european monetary union european economic union rehabilitation programs family assistance tweets polling firms imdb internet movie database twitter health insurance premiums van de water marginal cost curve center on budget and policy priorities home theater system Mountain Lion economic growth max weber denison rule of law Robert Hall Airplay streaming video Charles Jones pet scanners ct scanners TANF welfare welfare work PRWORA education job search mental health treatment substance abuse treatment rehabilitation activities mainstream media idiots media goofs mri machines supply curve health expenditures marginal costs excise tax media innumeracy polling errorNBC price increases rent control san francisco arthur levitt chairman arthur levitt supplemental nutrition assistance program department of agriculture aol securities and exchange market futures national defense authorization house republican caucus supplemental nutrition nutrition assistance bp gas prices fixed cost consumer confidence commerce department consumer price index career success consumers snap program sequestration Carney supply and demand milk prices cnbc president lyndon johnson george santayana war in vietnam war on poverty tax surcharge futures traders agricultural bill mayans tax cuts plan b limerick Dr. Goose john carney light trucks fiscal policy analysis consumer search british petroleum union dues teacher credentialing democratic agenda csu system university california central limit theorem political polling meta analysis brooke gladstone bad teachers reading comprehension california faculty association polls landslide math capabilities tenure decisions unholy trinity democratic politicians voucher programs random sample response rate teachers union newshour jeffrey brown pbs Dennis Van Roekel price of gasoline retail gasoline gasoline market national education association pbs news hour eric zencey political economist public radio international university of vermont ecological economics punctuation egregious error domestic transactions public colleges excel plugin demand elasticity first quarter investment backward looking price discrimination beef price Neumark poverty export forward looking shock 2014:1 archaic regulations Ackman negative interest rate slow growth estimates MediCal Medicaid Burkhauser Sabia car loans affordable car act Ferguson Benko BEA historical data third estimate second estimate advance estimate Volcker Krugman Atlantic earned income tax credit Lundstrom NIPA value added subject matter knowledge Google Davidow Freddy Mac Fannie Mae best of the web tax refund TurboTax Intuit food prices commodity prices Crimea Russia custody account online order system Ricoh excess demand excess supply surplus Venezuela black market Staples New York Times stupid underground economy municipal bankruptcy Stockton suppression second amendment first amendment celebrity lunch looktothestars Mel Watt housing bubble charity buzz third-party payments FDIC Detroit Harrisburg San Bernardino puerto rico debt illegal immigration government waste stupid policy self-deportation annual revision Gaza parent participation McArdle satire rain tax employment J.S.G. Boggs cronyism art currency Maryland elasticity foreign exchange banking bank regulation Hungary monopoly pricing Lerner Index market power monopoly economic policy exchange rate debt ownership daily signal kelsey harness credit rating reserves spam default risk premium my first client heroine cell phone TPPP intellectual property subprime rv loans The Interview IP investment tastes of life confusion pricing life challenge of michigan hospitality incentive Hawaiian independence native Hawaiian Hawaii spelling is hard politics AmeriCorps yacht tax snack tax corporate income tax Valparaiso environment data journalists population density Texas San Francisco Muni zero emissions hybrid SF Muni luxury tax suicide Mulligan Douthat cults innovation euro breakup information Fed Yellen productivity wage hidden tax dmv post hoc auto computer Jeter marginal revenue product Yankees baseball shortage price rationing full time work lisa benson victorville daily press moral hazard part time job political cartoons cbs news jim messina chapter 9 bankruptcy adverse selection asymmetric information crunch bank of china pboc henry jacoby david kestenbaum george akerlof john reilly carbon tax presidential campaign detroit michigan second chance checking accounts reallocation selling securities intragovernmental holdings overdraft fees bank of america jpmorgan overdrafts overdraft fee publicly financed stadiums Siegfried robert whaples professional sports facilities college enrollment andrew zimbalist dennis coates Noll humphreys red wings lender of last resort liquidity crisis haircut deposit balances russian mafia cyprus banks suckers russians baccalaureate degree higher education system Cyprus taxes cabaret tax stork club eric felten dow jones bureau of internal revenue baby boom birth rate roof gardens supply side economics public higher education onerous requirement u s treasury bonds cps employment data 30 year treasuries rogoff reinhardt bond market federal debt incomes embarrassment university buildings tuition bill virtual laboratory university education david blanchflower gura forum program kai ryssdal checking account checks private health insurance health insurance industry bully Bromwich health insurance companies single payer BPPE mistake health insurers Michael Bromwich Cote american association of retired persons federal government program capitalist system aarp Association of Mature American Citizens Denise Cote antitrust AMAC Dev Bootcamp regulation Sebelius bad research war on drugs ivory Sperling Bloomberg price control Bitcoin Bloomberg View Tim Cook stock buyback full time Bishay Shereef Bishay Zanny Minton Beddoes health care stock split newspeak Orwell magical thinking economics research bureaucrats economic analysis school lunches externality economic activity misdemeanor conviction mary jo white plea bargain government bureaucrats entrepreneurial opportunity school cafeteria BCS Bullis Charter School LASD michelle obama negative externalities market imperfection food trucks economic profits money income economic data falsification survey work executive branch single point michael reich evsey domar mandates new york post john crudele saving dollar wealth capital gains interest global competition dissaving rent technological growth paul romer bad management economic woes scott adams stimulus bond yields term yields smart employees john c dvorak inventions monopolies copyright law inventor patents fomc southeast asian countries fbi ipods john maynard keynes shoot from the hip where are the jobs tax increases crackdown equity research insider trading susan pulliam legitimate research macintosh computer apple computer technology impacts economic efficiency david romer james poterba stanford university robert j gordon northwestern university business cycles cambridge massachusetts economic fluctuations nber research associate 1 million harvard univerity martin feldstein jeffrey frankel joe gagnon institute for international economics mr bush birthing centers medical practices administrative services cost of health care expansion bill electronic health records monetary affairs federal reserve board international finance free exchange patient communication systems small businesses Foxconn visa inc federal reserve bank of chicago federal reserve bank financial literacy global credit credit markets government budget deficits national literacy summit treasurydirect gov http://gonzoecon.com/wp-ad u s treasury department debt government indebtedness medicare reform proposal corwin food and drug administration chris dodd barry bonds favorable treatment countrywide financial new york times columnist performance enhancing drugs plurality tea party pundit senator chris dodd mortgage interest rates budget trillion national public radio Civilian Aeronautics Board grade inflation attendance rates lubbers class attendance CAB airlines Foxcon suicide Foxcon China suicide Alfred Kahn deregulation college faculty going to college walmart obscene profits exxon mobil lucifer exxon evil corporations federal government spending wikipedia higher education optimal currency area scientific method TheTruth Wears Off trusts charities subprime market financial models econometric model financial crisis president roosevelt sound economic policy david brooks subprime mortgages census bureau press policy prescriptions domestic spending seasonal variation financial market meltdown economic advisers labor markets government takeover loan applications census workers job creation gary stern minneapolis fed student loan program political favoritism iphone four more years mobile version blackberry Android cuba military court bank of india foreign nationals remittances money transfers bernard madoff wall street paypal india money state of the economy banking crisis indian regulators personal payments reserve bank of india stock market losses ancient mayans smith barney 1098 forms Merrill Lynch Roth IRA ksm interest free loan champion martha stewart stewart sentencing five months 100 million fraud biggest banks ron feldman debt instruments government issues fiscal stimulus mr cameron david cameron stimulus package credit card balance budget surpluses toyota vehicle sudden acceleration crash data nhtsa driver error transfer payments fiscal policy hedge funds limited partnership financial institutions financial instruments hedge fund pension fund managers confidence bernanke economic forecasters government policies wages mandate national highway traffic safety administration acceleration problems trades market crash limit order djia employment prospects wsj durable goods business inventories tbtf monetary instruments economies of scale w wilson private domestic investment bls web economic events international airline european competitors unintended consequences subsidies toyota motor corp european governments european airlines layoffs separations optimism emirates airlines airbus a380s members of congress apy community organizer Jim Yong Kim capital gains tax budget proposal dividend income tax expenditures World Bank venture capital energy program sec regulations startups businessweek ee times health care benefits taxing capital TLA growth FLA three letter acronym nobel prize in economics four letter acronym muni municipal bond interest mortgage interest tax preferences charitable contributions interest payments local taxes vc firms cleantech capital goods cepr rear view camera rear view mirror benefit cost ratio mini vans durable goods orders green bad analysis Boockvar david owen eggs hens benefit cost analysis station wagon small business innovation research defense authorization act national defense authorization act government grants accredited investors customer accounts customer funds Galbraith department of transportation joe nocera european currencies federal prosecutors nominal interest rates Zuckerberg taxpayer money Hacker andrew hacker brandeis university science math numerical skills Draghi Mars offshore bank tax havens james henry martian Martian banks queens college color laser printer endogenous growth theory unemployment benefits robert solow factor productivity social infrastructure security features counterfeit security thread abe lincoln counterfeiters color copier ben franklin math is hard Costco St. Louis Fed Business Cycles Committee Kathleen Hays economic stimulus Anna Schwartz unconventional NBER calubtun grexit criminal ERM Stewart Ponzi LFPR debt to gdp ratio discrimination lawsuit mortgage originations mortgage finance banking history mortgage brokers housing crisis bank lending CT scanner medical device tax PET scanner medical device makers medical device manufacturer AAPL algebra is hard Argentina inflationary pressures Official inflation rate seasonal holiday labor force participation civilian labor force regulatory uncertainty u s government bonds northern euro Supersad True Love Story southern euro quadratic formula corporate bond yields government jobs unemployed workers optimum currency areas cocoa euro exchange rate eurozone countries adjustment mechanism deutschemark chocolate holidays debt crisis new businesses chocolate consumption cocoa prices chocolate lovers euro countries gary shteyngart copom depreciation debt plan roger vadim patricia bosworth hurricane irene brazilian real devaluation professional athletes employment unemployment monetary policy committee interest parity brazil government houghton mifflin barbarella payroll tax reduction unemployment insurance benefits transportation projects national labor relations board free trade agreement ken rogoff california state government hanoi jane fonda california public employees retirement system public employees retirement system CalPERS market reforms allan h meltzer santa clara valley transportation authority federal government regulation valley transportation authority bus rapid transit brt bus lanes tax preparation alternative minimum tax cengage information goods california state taxes middle class taxpayers tax simplification mountain view palo alto delinquency rate wtop office of the president leading economic indicators population estimates segraves compliance rate santa clara sunnyvale san jose tim geithner executive office of the president principles of economics vta california government stupid green standards high school diploma Constitution cellulosic ethanol ethanol california gasoline new host statistical tools french champagne leading indicator disposable income per capita income government mandate EEOC nominal yield curve TIPS expectation inflation curve aplia information economics apple store yield curves real yield curve Greece crisis ethanol production biofuel ethanol technology Mundell new yorker u s treasury graduation rate karl rove mainstream media federal government debt athenahealth exchange rate risk wells fargo jonathan bush personal income treasury notes excess reserves department of justice Euro crisis fedex ups Dave Barry los altos complexity bank reserves dean baker discouraged workers fomc meeting IRS mortgage backed securities inflation protected securities employment report treasury inflation protected securities debt ceiling U.S. economy bad spelling tax returns inflation target olivier blanchard inflation rate international monetary fund bailout citibank Stanford government economics financial meltdown 1099 forms Great Recession central banks macroeconomic policy new jobs bls gov money supply government spending financial markets sophisticated investors economy unemployment numbers downward revision retail sales collateralized debt obligations economists great depression health care bill treasury bills economic principles minimum wage hike informal sector empirical studies European Central Bank economist princeton interest rates usps national debt debt obligations ken gardner Treasury u s postal service canada city of detroit municipal bond subprime auto loans subprime California operation choke point mf global uncovered interest parity education default affordable care act Germany The Economist Taranto Puerto Rico congress bonds banks banking system political science Netflix pollster Reed Hastings unemployment optimum currency area dividends eric holder municipal bonds facebook ipo Dodd-Frank ipo statistics dexit statisticians charter schools food stamps john boehner stock market government regulations teachers unions national income accounting free lunch kqed california state university east bay Social Security milton friedman population survey paul krugman government bonds david burge treasury department amazon household survey treasury securities alan krueger paul ryan innumeracy securities and exchange commission consumer spending purchasing power nominal interest rate bls Madoff government budget deficit ben bernanke inflation expectations bush tax cuts yield curve healthcare humor common core public debt SEC government data math mitt romney choke point tax federal reserve bank of st louis fred database seasonal adjustment PACA jon corzine Greece algebra fail iowahawk marketplace california state university default risk recession real interest rate census bureau obama Apple real gdp stupid jobs facebook inflation ecb ObamaCare bureau of economic analysis government debt eurozone bureau of labor statistics monetary policy gross domestic product federal reserve labor force participation rate npr ACA euro gdp wall street journal minimum wage unemployment rate new york times featured